Thread: has anyone ever hung a 9.9 off the stern?

Threaded View

The majority of Ariel's had an outboard in a well, the conversion is pretty streight forward. The part you will likely want to focus on is the construction of the well. There are many pictures here.

It is widely held that these boats don't like the stern bracket for a couple of reasons. First the weight hung so far aft really upsets the trim... Even being 2' aft of the position in the well makes a big difference.

Second, and maybe more importantly, the controls are very difficult to operate because of the lazarette.... You are stretching pretty far back, and down.... A recipe for falling overboard at worst, and cumbersome at best.

I have sailed an Alberg 30 with an outboard in the transom and it was a real handful to dock!

The 9.9 is a little big and heavy, but many folks have used them. I delivered Ariel Spirit (#3) when it was purchased it hAd a Merc 9.9 2 stroke, it was replaced by a 9.9 4 stroke. Neither moved it any better then the Yamaha 6 and Tohatsu 6 that I use on my own Ariel (#226).
    Last edited by c_amos; 09-06-2016 at 02:26 PM.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net