+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Single-Handed Ariel

Single-Handed Ariel

I'm new to sailing and have learned a lot from reading the message board. I need some advice and help for techniques to sail Mariel (# 162) single -handed. What have you learned to help a novice to sail single-handed.

I searched the message board and have already gotten a solution to my first problem: I found that you can manage sails and keep the tiller steady by rigging bungee cords to steady the tiller. I also found a couple devices which work to hold the tiller firm (tiller tender is one, but too pricey for my budget)

Self tailng winches are a must .

Has anyone used Winchers. They're rubber disks that convert a regular winch to a self tailing. If they work, it would honor the "Fun on a budget" creed of the Palmer household and keep the accounting department from sending the dreaded "Not-In-budget" memo.

Safety is one of the biggest concerns, which also affects gear selection and establishing cockpit sail control. For an introduction, click on the search button and search for "single hand" (partial word). You should get 12 thread hits worth reading.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Welcome aboard.

Singlehanding is a good subject, but a general one. So here's a general answer.

Just do it.

Many people don't singlehand because they're not comfortable doing so. Since they need to line up crew, they don't sail often enough to ever get comfortable.

Since you're willing to do it, everything else is easy.

Docking and sail-handling is mostly a matter of practice and developing routines.

Upgraded equiptment can make sailing easier and more enjoyable. But, if you really hunger to sail, you don't need anything. Everyone strikes their own balance between cost and convenience.

Once fully infected with the sailing disease, boat purchases seem rational and necessary. I believe life is barely worth living without real self-tailers. Come over to the dark side.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 11-26-2003 at 08:45 AM.

I think single handing is a must for any boat/boat owner.
    One thing, you never really get to know the boat as well if you don't sail it alone.
    Another, overriding concern, is that of the crew overboard. If all one can do is to sail the boat competently with crew, and that crew goes over...well...it's on you to get 'em back. I feel that it is a matter of good seamanship and responsibility to learn to sail the boat alone.
    Please be responsible to yourself by rigging a set of jacklines and investing in a good harness. Unless your crew can sail the boat well by THEMselves, wear it at all times. There is no issue of exposure or recovery attempts if you stay with the boat.

The Ariel and Commander are kind, zoomy, magic little boats. Really miss mine...anyway, they are exceptionally easy to sail alone, so worry not. Very predictable.
    Rather than adding more complexity, I'd work to un-complicate things as much as possible. Unless you are particularly short (and I am only 5'7") you shouldn't have much worry of reach for coming about or sail trimming. I have a strong personal dislike for self-tailers myself, but that's just me. They might have been nice on the Commander a few times as it was a bit of a reach...but you learn real fast to steer with your foot while trimming.

The first complexity I'd add would be a simple and inexpensive sheet-to-tiller self-steering setup (see "self Steering for Sailing Craft" by John S. Letcher, Jr. or "Wind and Tide" by Jerome W. FitzGerald) which will allow you to make a sandwich, take a leak, or just ride on the side deck with your feet hanging over all by your lonesome. Another distinct value of this system is the detailed knowlege of your boat's balance, trim and performance you will rapidly acquire in the process of getting the system dialed in.

I have used the "wincher" and don't think they fit winches as small as most Ariels have.
    They sort of work, but not like real self tailers.

I find the comments about self tailing winches interesting. I don't have any, have done extensive single handed sailing, and until now never saw a reason for them, other than they are sort of neat (I don't really see the reason for them now). I simply cleat the jib sheet - no big deal.

I used a Davis Tiller Tamer (available from West for less than $30 as I recall) my first year soloing, , but that was good for about 15 - 30 seconds before I had to rush back to the helm to make a correction - and then back to the mast or wherever. I now consider an Autohelm an absolutely mandatory safety device for the single hander (It doesn't make any difference whether it is the Raytheon or Simrad). This is not just a convenience matter, but a safety matter - although its use as a convenience is important as well (I sailed the length of Lake Michigan once with just the Tiller Tamer and would never do it again, if I had a choice).

I also tried to use non-stretch dacron line to hold the tiller in place (nylon stretches and slips too much). About the same results as the Tiller Tamer, but a pain relatively (Much more of a pain than the difference between cleating a sheet and using self tailing winches). Again, the line would hold course for perhaps 15 - 30 seconds.

There are times you have to leave the helm for at least several minutes (raising/lowering sails, fixing things, getting out of the cold/rain, getting food, and you have to know that your vessel will stay on course. Even if you don't leave the helm, there is relaxation in not having to concentrate on where you are headed over a lengthy course of time. The only way this can be done is with an autohelm.

The second mandatory item, which was discussed on an earlier occasion, is a collapsible ladder to get back on board in the unofrtunate event you go over the side so you have some hope of getting back up again.

The last item, which I this past year I have been doing, is to have a handheld VHF radio clipped on to my inflatable so that I can call for a mayday, if I get bounced overboard. Although short range, they are still better than yelling.

Sailing solo is great. You go where you want, when you want, under the conditions you want - and don't have to concern yourself with whether someone else is enjoying themselves.

Solo mio.....

Capt. Theis,

I spent most of last season quietly arguing with myself about autopilots - you know, one more gizmo to malfunction, sailaway if you fall overboard, battery drain, "hunting" while running downwind, and so forth. But I really kind of want to fit one to my Ariel and get into singlehanding. My halyard winches are on the mast and will stay there. So now you got me autopilot thinking again -

You have some pix, maybe? Suggestions, anecdotes, cautions?

I too am happy with standard winches/cleats. This all probably belongs in "Technical" but I'm too stuffed with turkey to think straight.
    ()-9

I'll see if I can get some pictures and post them for you later.

As for your concerns, you sound like me. Those are the very things I thought about, and the reasons I did not initially install one - thinking an autohelm more a luxury than a necessity.

A little background. I relaunched Solsken (Ariel) in 2000, having spent five years rehabing it (a lot of time to think about those things). I had sailed it for many years in the 60s and 70s without an autohelm so I knew what I was dealing with and what to expect - sort of. When I rehabed it, I tried to keep it as true as possible to the way it had been and avoid a lot of glop, i.e. keep it a true classic.

Like you, all my running rigging, except for the sheets, goes to the mast. I have hank-on sails. I like going forward because that is the fun, the exercise, the thrill, the challenge. I also do a lot of long distance cruising on the Great Lakes.

With all that said (I apologise for the long introduction - but different strokes for different folks), when I go on the foredeck, it is so much more enjoyable and relaxing to take my time getting sails up and down, or to go forward and take a picture or read for a while with the autohelm maintaining my course (based on a compass setting). Incidentally, I get a lot of reading done when I am cruising because of the autohelm. At lunch time, I can make myself a decent lunch, or perk coffee without being concerned about the course. It is a real blessing.

But they do break down, and then you realize how much of a blessing the autohelm is. Mine is a Raytheon Autohelm 2000 ( I got the larger unit because a) it is faster reacting and b) I don't want to be underpowered). The first year, 2001, it failed after about twenty hours - right at the beginning of a cruise. The second year it went for about three weeks, failing only near the end of the cruise. Then Raytheon replaced it and the device seems to work fine now. I do think that they had a batch when I got mine, because others also had problems with units acquired about the same time.

Falling overboard and the autohelm are real problems. I haven't resolved that one yet That is a concern.

Hunting while running downwind or in high seas. Going down wind is a problem, only in seas, because the hunting can be severe enough to threaten a jibe. The alternatives are to take the helm manually, or head up a bit so that the boat never falls off enough to reach the jibe point (that is better sailing anyway, and probably faster, even without an autohelm). Remember the autohelm can also be fixed - no movement - just as if the tiller were lashed down - fall back position but one I have never used. In high seas, I often do take over some of the time, but still use the autohelm when I need a break.

Battery drain - yes that is an issue, but at least in the Great Lakes there is enough motoring (my Yamaha 8hp has a 6 amp generator) that the battery has not yet run down significantly while cruising. However, when day sailing, I do need to pay attention to that issue, although it has not yet been a problem. I have installed a battery charge volt meter to keep me informed of how much the charge in the battery has run down. Also, when the inside lights seem a little low, I know the time has come to recharge. In other words, it has not been a problem, any more than running overnight with the running lights/masthead, GPS etc. But when running overnight with the autohelm and the lights, I do need to be concerned. Of course, the juice the autohelm draws is dependent on the extent to which it has to correct course i.e. the wind and seas.

I will look for some pictures.

Capt. Theus,

As they say "ignorance is bless and I'm a happy fella". Since I'm new to sailing, there are terms I think I know but I'll ask anyway.

Hanked-on sail (as opposed to what other kind of sail)?

The alternative to a hanked on sail is a roller reefed foresail, the size of which is controlled from the cockpit. When I change foresails, I have to go forward, grab the replacement sail out of the fore cabin through the hatch, and put it on. It takes a little work - but it also makes for more fun.

I think if you do a search of this bulletin board on "roller reef" you will pick up a dialog that was carried on last fall in regard to roller reefing and hanking on of the foresail.

As for the "terms", there was also a discussion of some of the terms last fall, such as "lazarette", "standing rigging" and "running rigging" as I recall. But checking out the meaning of terms is something everyone always goes through - and it is never ending. In this sport, you are always learning something, unless you are afraid to ask or are misled to believing you already know it all.

Self tailing winches can be kind of neat but the boat sails the same with or without them. I don't have them and have never really thought they were necessary and I sail single handed most of the time. (with hanked on sails)
    A very useful steering control I do have on board is a single 1/4" nylon line run outside the stanchions along the deck from the cockpit to a block at the base of the forestay and back down the other side of the boat to the cockpit. I attach the loose ends to the tiller, forming a closed loop so that by pulling the line one way or the other I can steer from anywhere on the boat. It isn't as efficient as an autopilot but it uses no electricity, if virtually unbreakable and cost about ten bucks. It works wonderfully for sitting on the bow on a long reach or when you are motoring and want to get away from the engine noise, and helps considerably with boat control when raising/lowering/reefing sails or any time you need to go forward.
    I also use a Davis tiller tamer but I wouldn't want to be without it. It won't keep the boat on course for a long distance if you are moving around on the boat. It wasn't designed to do that. I use it to absorb some of the load and motion from the tiller and to hold a general course, which it does very well, making often longs days a lot less tiring. And when the boat is balanced it makes it easy to lock the rudder so you can just let go and enjoy the ride.

Self tailers come into their own when you are short tacking in a tight situation or need to make a gradual sheet adjustment/course change.
    Anything that frees up one hand, to me is considered "safety gear".( so less chance you will need that ladder )

I didn't think much of them either until I raced with them .
    They make tacking faster, which is also a safety issue, as it gets you back to minding the helm and keeping a better lookout.

Mike:

Your comments about self tailing winches were good. On long cruises there is not much to do with adjusting the foresail, but when beating somewhere, I could use them. With the helm in one hand, the winch handle in the second and the tail end of the sheet line in the - whoops - there is a problem. So I use my knee for the tiller freeing up one hand, but it is still a hassle - particularly coming about.

Putting a beer can holder in the cockpit has freed up one hand and made life easier.

Actually the self tailing winch might be most applicable when there are guests on board because then it is a pain moving everyone around while the sheets are changed/adjusted.

tcoolidge (Tom?)

Your idea reminded me of a solution to another problem addressed earlier in this thread. I had been thinking of running a line around, much as you have, but with a different purpose. My idea had been to have the wrap around line connected a) to the autohelm shaft, and b) the outboard emergency shut off string. If I fell overboard, I would be dragged along by the side of the boat and could reach up and grab the line ringing the edge of the boat (which I think I could do). I could jerk it, the motor would shut off, and (if sailing) the autohelm would be pulled off the pin on the tiller, disabling the autohelm. The Ariel would then head up wind and stop.

By the way, yours is a good idea, and one a lot less expensive than an autohelm, although perhaps not as effective in that it still depends on the helmsman to hold a course and make course corrections.

tpalmer (Tom?)

My idea had been to show some pictures, as you requested. I went through my archives since I had the autohelm and found none. When I took pictures looking aft from the foredeck, the autohelm was always blocked by the cabin hatch. I have no pictures looking down into the cockpit. Sorry. If you decide to go that route, let me know and I will give you some ideas regarding the installation. I have redone mine once already, and would like to redo it a second time.

+ Reply to Thread