+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tranporting boat with motor in well

Tranporting boat with motor in well

While I've been a Pearson owner for, oh, a solid month now, I just actually took delivery on my Commander yesterday so I have lots of questions as I being to plan for her launch.

What are people's opinions about transporting the boat with the motor mounted in the well? I have a 9.9 horse Suzuki 2-stroke, and the boat will be hauled on a Brownell trailer about 8 miles/ 20 minutes and launched directly into the water off the trailer. Easier to manage it at the dock? Damage to the outboard well?

Any advice and insight is much appreciated. I've been reading this forum daily for about a year -- a Cape Dory Typhoon-sailing lurker -- and I've learned a lot.

David Spaulding

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    If the motor is already in the well, I would leave it there. Just tighten the mounting screws, although the engine can't possibly slip through the hole.

If the motor is not on the boat yet, mounting it in the water or on the hard is a little awkward either way. You either have to carry it up a ladder or step on to the floating boat carrying it in your hand.
    It helps to have someone guide the lower unit so the prop doesn't ding something.

Set up a "landing pad" on the boat with boat cushions or something to put the engine temporarily until you're ready to lift it into the motor well.

Thanks -- the motor's out fo the well now -- I want to take it in for a check-up before we head into the open water!

David

Cape Dory?

Capt. David,

C'pete's advice is spot-on. Also, you're gonna like the Commander.

Cape Dory Typhoon, eh? I have secretly lusted after that sweet looking daysailer since long before my first marriage tanked (no connection). So whats it like sailing a Cape off those rock bound shores? The Ariel/Commander is more practical, but oh momma....

Carry on..
    ()-9

Dan --

I really love the Typhoon. It was a forgiving teacher when it had to be and a trophy when I wanted it to be. I know I'll miss her -- she was just shy of perfect for sailing around this part of Casco Bay (Falmouth/Portland/Harpwell). I'm hoping the Commander will be perfect.

David

+ Reply to Thread