[size='10']How many times have you seen it?

It breaks your heart, and you may even make a comment... "too bad".

How many times have you seen some poor ship tugging at her lines....

... with peeling paint and mildew. You know she is not going sailing....

.... she is neglected.

It is sad. We have a thread around here somewhere with pictures of 'sad boats'.

Well, it happens fast.

Faith brought us home from our journey after keeping us safe for thousands of miles.... She protected us from a hurricane on the anchor... she braved some serious seas and came through like a champ. Never once did she fail us or let us down.

The maintenance tasks that we had spent so much time on... well she shone like new when we departed. As we put in miles and months, we learned that...

Cruising is hard on a boat.

Since we have been home, we have sailed her, and done those things like sealing chainplates and other tasks that I knew had to be tended to ASAP.

We sail her, and each time I notice something new that needs to be tended to.

There have been many things happeing in life since we got back. Life happens like that.

Well, due to a set of circumstances I need not go into I had not been down to the boat in an entire 3 weeks.

Yesterday I went, and discovered that at some point in that time, a very large fish apparently jumped out of the water (16-18" long) and landed in the cockpit.

In the time it laid there, it turned to liquid. The liquid spread and covered the cockpit sole. The goo went down the cockpit drains, and some came up the sink.

The maggots took up residence in the lazarette.... and had a great celebration.

I have seen death. I have even seen decomposing human bodies. I was still astounded and amazed by the stench.

I have a very strong stomach. I spent 3.5 hours yesterday glad I had not had breakfast. I went back to the boat today, and set about making this right.

I pressure washed the flaking paint (the interlux Brightsides that failed on the cabin top). I sanded and faired.

I routed out the cracks I found... some were casualties of war, others had been routed before but still had traces of the evil silicone.... and returned for it.

I labored and sweated. I sanded and filled. I even got some priming done....

The work is hard, but the return is good. Tomorrow I go back down to the boat to sand, and strip... to varnish and paint....

...It is funny in a weird sort of way....

... I may well be thankful for that fish in the long run....[/size]