+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Handrails Commander

Handrails Commander

does anyone have a source where we can get replacement handrails which will fit the original size.
    44" long three loops. We cant find this size at local stores.
    Thanks

The handrails were custom made by Pearson. No stock handrails are available.

Remove your old hand rails and have a carpenter make duplicates. (One teak board, mirror images.) You might want to use a one by four board rather than the original 5/8 or 3/4 inch thick used by Pearson.

commander handrails measurments

does anyone have the original measuremtns of the handrails for the commander. We are going to see about having some fabricated but are unsure of original size, how many loops 3 or 4 etc.
    thanks for any help.

I take it your original hand rails are gone, right? Maybe one of our Commander owners will take pity on you and post the measurements.

yes, rails gone.

My rails were sitting around waiting their turn for refinishing, so here you go. These are the mohagany rails that came on C151 40 years ago.
    (See attached photos) something to note is the shot from the end - it shows the angle of the cabin in relationship to vertical, and also shows the crve of the cabin front to back, although I'm not sure if they were made that way or were applied straight and they kept the "memory" of the curve.
    Nemesis
    Hull 151

P. Sullivan

My rails are also in the garage for refinishing. They are 4 post rails. They are not matched, to my surprise. It looks like they were making these by the gross?? and used whatever came to hand. They are attached with hanger bolts (wood screw on one end and and bolt on the other) These bolts are available from Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island. ( A wonderful resource, Buy something from them and enjoy the catalogs they send)
    Last edited by John; 06-23-2004 at 04:52 PM.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

I can supply pictures or tracings if that is a help.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

Post Renamed

Renamed this thread to associate it with the recent Ariel handrail thread. http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...read.php?t=127
    Last edited by Bill; 09-17-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Longer handrails

I have the handrails off C74 for refinishing and am contemplating going with longer handrails for extra security when moving forward. (Lifelines and stern pushpit are coming off, for now.) I believe the current handrails are original and they are getting a little thin/flexy for me to feel confident that they will keep my 200 pounds on board if all my weight is on them in an emergency.

Does anyone know if the Commander cabin top is straight enough to easily take longer handrails (like C229) or would there be much bending / shaping involved to get a clean fit?

Thanks.

Peter

check with Commander 227

PM him on this message board, he has removed his and I don't think they are going back on. In any case Mike should be able to provide a pattern. Good Luck

The cabin top is definitely flat enough for long handrails. Wooden rails have some flex that allows for a slight curve. You may have to file down the ends so they will lay flat on the fiberglass, but not much. Since they are attached with a nut and bolt you can put more pressure than just a wood screw. I say get them as long as you want and they will work. However, I never really used mine as hand-rails and was just about to remove them when the boat sold.

+ Reply to Thread