+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #417 (IRIS)

Ariel #417 (IRIS)

I just Bought my first sailboat, a 1966 Pearson Ariel #417. She is in relatively good shape for the age and price. She came with a new full batten main, spinnaker, new sail covers, new vhf, tiller tamer, marine stereo and a nice new stainless folding ladder. The decks are solid, zero soft spots and all attachment points to the deck are solid. The boat is currently not named so that will have to be taken care of.

She is in sail away condition as soon as I get my motor, I just bought a Tohatsu 6hp outboard online. Other than the motor she is ready to go except for tlc. and minor (to me) maintenance.

The port lights leak a little, I will have to re-bed them and or replace. I will be installing new running rigging and replacing the old lifelines. The motor well/lazarette needs paint really bad, but that is a personal preference and not entirely necessary. I'm in dire need of some new dock lines as well. It would please me to refinish the deck with new paint but the marina where it is at requires full tenting so reluctantly that will have to be put off until I can figure out something later. After moving aboard I will be getting rid of that goofy alcohol stove and going with a decent propane stove setup where the tank is stored on one side of the engine well lazarette. Will a 20# tank fit in the lazarette?

I plan on cruising the Chesapeake until next winter and then head for a warmer climate. I have been wanting to buy a sailboat since 2007 and now after lots of saving, reading and planning I finally did it. I will be living aboard and I love the simplicity and all the nice storage drawers and locker on the Ariel. I kind of dislike that it does not have some sort of dedicated dinette or fold down table like some other similar boats. I plan on putting $5000-$7000 to get her to bristol shape and cruising condition. There is still the original icebox, which to me is an entire waste of precious space.

When buying and looking I took many things into consideration. The criteria was, a seaworthy and proven design, not too big or small, keel hung rudder or skeg hung, a tiller arrangement and in good sound condition for a good price. I don't think I can have done any better from some of the other neglected vessels I have seen. Other candidates to fit the bill were CD-25, CD-25D, CD-27, Alberg 30, 28' Pearson Triton. I really wanted a Triton, those certainly do look yar. Well, especially for my first "real" sailboat I think I made the right choice. I have previously owned a small Hobie catamaran and borrowed my neighbors 14' pram from time to time and that's about the extent of my sailing experience. This is certainly bigger and I am impressed with the huge amount of storage where the inboard is supposed to be. I will be filling it with provisions. As a bonus I still have space left over for my scuba gear and (2) 80CF tanks.

I plan on setting her up for cruising, adding a bow roller and a good bit of chain and a new gen anchor. I was thinking about a bollard/bit setup like on faith, I have a dilemma the deck it seems like there isn't much room for a bow roller unless I reconfigure the setup on the bow. Pics to follow. Questions and comments are welcome.

One more question. The scupper/sink drains have NO SEACOCKS! That, to me is terrifying. How would I go about resolving this issue? Since it appears to be hoses clamped to a tube of glass. Even right now as I type this, there is possibility of catastrophic failure even though everything appears to be in good shape with good clamps.

-TD
    Last edited by ariel417; 11-21-2012 at 05:36 AM. Reason: add to

Welcome, congrats and a very impressive 1st post! We love the pics around here. Looks like you found a nicely cared for vessel. The newer sails are key too, which I'm sure you know. You mention wanting a fold down or dinette table - in post #5 it looks as the the PO made some sort of arrangement that attaches to the locker and drawer faces? Any more pics of that?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Welcome, congrats and a very impressive 1st post! We love the pics around here. Looks like you found a nicely cared for vessel. The newer sails are key too, which I'm sure you know. You mention wanting a fold down or dinette table - in post #5 it looks as the the PO made some sort of arrangement that attaches to the locker and drawer faces? Any more pics of that?
    Well I set it up, it was a custom table the PO made. there are rails you can see in the photos, the table also has a rail and can be fitted anywhere along the track. It works but it would be a pain because it blocks access to the vee berth. It will do for the time being, I would resort to crawling under the thing instead of removing it every time. A small fold down table would make sense, maybe 1.5'W x 2.5' L, folding down from the hanging locker. That seems to be the biggest issue with the Ariel, no dedicated table where you can sit and do things. I like the quote, was it Patton? "Make do, do with or do without." Seems fitting to my life...
    Great forum by the way.

I know what you mean - I picked up a table from a CD 25 and am going to set it up the same way it is in the CDs.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by ariel417 View Post
    One more question. The scupper/sink drains have NO SEACOCKS! That, to me is terrifying. How would I go about resolving this issue? Since it appears to be hoses clamped to a tube of glass. Even right now as I type this, there is possibility of catastrophic failure even though everything appears to be in good shape with good clamps.-TD
    There is much discussion on this question. Please use the search function. Not great, but it will answer most of your questions -- before you need to post.

I agree with Mike. Welcome aboard, what a great find, what a great first post and we definitely like pictures here. She looks to be clean and well cared for and it sounds like she has found the right hands to fall into. Your future plans sound like the right way to spend the summer and I am most curious as to where you are headed to avoid the cold.

Ditto on what Bill says too. There are volumes here on just about any topic regarding these boats. It has almost gotten to the point that it takes a fair amount of time to wade through to find the answer you need. But it's a great way to spend a winter's night.
    My home has a keel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    I agree with Mike. Welcome aboard, what a great find, what a great first post and we definitely like pictures here. She looks to be clean and well cared for and it sounds like she has found the right hands to fall into. Your future plans sound like the right way to spend the summer and I am most curious as to where you are headed to avoid the cold.

Ditto on what Bill says too. There are volumes here on just about any topic regarding these boats. It has almost gotten to the point that it takes a fair amount of time to wade through to find the answer you need. But it's a great way to spend a winter's night.
    Well, I'm planning on spending the summer around the Chesapeake where I don't know. I am still looking for a place to relocate my boat where the rates are reasonable for my lifestyle. I would expect to pay 7.50-8.50 per foot and will require a liveaboard marina. I am open to suggestions for where in the Chesapeake I can get the best rates,amenities, and freedom to tinker with fixing things on the boat.

I plan on heading down the coast, looking for good work along the way. I hope to stop into Jacksonville for a while and then off to wherever. I used to live in the Florida keys so, there are places there I am familiar with and people I know.

I am happy, I ordered a 35# Manson Supreme for $330 with their Thursday 15% off sale. I got it $52 cheaper than anywhere else on the web. I have been waiting for a good gps to come along probably a garmin 441-541, I don't pay full price for many things so it will have to wait.

I have also been pricing out getting new paint on the topsides and hull. I want to get this boat cruise ready for around $10,000. I have priced it all out and I can get it done.

Ariel-$5000
    anchor-$330
    Tackle/jacklines msc.- $800
    Outboard tohatsu sailmaster 20"-$1450
    GPS-$400
    hull paint-$2600

TOTAL $10,580

I would like to get a nice dodger setup, but I will have to wait for something to come along. What does a setup cost? Where can it be done reasonably?

Instead of hull paint I may do new deck paint. I wonder how much that will cost if I remove all of the hardware for them, I'm still thinking around $100 per foot.
    Dulce et Decorum Est

congratulations! A-417 looks like a great project.

if you want to paint the decks, you might try a product like interdeck. i used it on A-231. you will want to budget for 2 quarts for the whole deck and coach roof. Prep for the deck should include rebedding all the hardware if it hasn't been done for a decade or two. if you suffer no leaks today, just mask off the hardware and roll on the new deck finish. it is an easy two day job. two quarts plus sundries should be under $120 for the works.

if you want to tackle topside paint, it does pay to spend a lot of time on preparation. i have done A-231 twice since 1995 with both two part and single part polyurethanes using roll and tip method. roll and tip is fast and pretty good, especially when buffed out, but there is nothing like the finish you will get from a professional spray job applied indoors with good temp and humidity control. that said, you can get close as an amateur with a week of prep time and three to four quarts of paint if the weather cooperates.

cheers,
    Bill@ariel231
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 11-23-2012 at 03:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread