+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariel or Triton For Sale??

Ariel or Triton For Sale??

I am in the market for an Ariel or Triton that is in ready to sail condition. And quite preferably with an inboard engine. Any of you all have one? I am currently planning to be in Maryland ( my birth state) the first or second week of September for a little (very little ) business. I think it would be a really nice time to look at boats for sale.
    Last edited by joe; 08-21-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Joe,

Most of us post the adds we happen across for Ariels and Commanders on this site. I see Tritons pretty regularly for around 5-6k. Actually there is one in Good Old Boat right now.

If you happen to find a Triton that needs a fuel tank... I do have one of those for sale.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Thanks c amos !!

I appreciate it

This one is just outside Baltimore on the Patapsco River.

http://www.youngsboatyard.com/pearson26_for_sale.html

Hi SkipperJer

That is one of the boats I intend to look at while I'm out there. Thank You. The price seems rather high and she has an outboard but if she is in excellent condition, who knows?

pretty boat, some stuff to look for

Take a look at the Triton Young's has listed there. Photos look good and the asking price is $7500. Important is that the Triton is out of the water.

Important to check out on the Ariel is the rudder (original/rebuilt?), heel fitting, the rudder shaft in the tube and tiller head. Time out in a yard plus materials could easily add on to the more likely $5000.

You want to see what's at the top of the mast. 338's was pretty corroded. Mast foot. Condition of the mast base area - and flattening? Spongy decks, chainplates (check the tops of the main bulkhead and the knees for rot where the plates come thru the deck) including the backstay. Boom, gooseneck. Side windows, leaks. Extra fastenings in the frames. Small opening ports operable? Are they aluminum or bronze?
    Condition of 1/2 round at the deck/hull joint. Signs of water on the shelves inside. Check for smearing of silicon in attempts to stop leaks. Lazarette: May be water in the builtin 'gascan' deck if it's a OB version. If not, the condition of the bulkhead there is important as the fix is tedious.

Have the Pearson straight-thru cockpit drains been replaced? How good a job? Cracks in the cockpit sole? Signs of water in the settee lockers.

Not for you, Joe, but anybody new to the game: Do not trust the surveyor unless you are absolutely sure of his rep. A surveyor recommended by the yard selling the boat is particularly suspect.

I belive the search is over

Going to finalize the deal in about two weeks !! Just need a cradle or trailer now!?!

+ Reply to Thread