Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Threaded View

Man, wouldn't want that track to let go in a breeze!!!

Paul, I can't answer for Kyle,
    but I would at least screw a nut onto maybe longer bolts.
    Every once in while a nut without a washer is OK in a series, especially if that's all you can do.
    I don't know how you can see anything up in the cove. but longer bolts should be able to have nuts screwed on.
    You can sometimes cheat and bend the bolt end a little into free space.
    Must get the nut on so you can use it to pry the bolt over. This is pretty radical - you may have a hard time removing the machine screw later.
    Most s.s. 1/4" washers are 5/8" diameter. You could look around and find 1/2" wide washers - that might fit better up in the cove. Even silicon washers on s.s machine screws would be OK to use. McMasterCarr usually gives dimensions of fastenings in their online catalog.

If you want to be a surgeon: Go to W.L.Fuller.Inc and get a Type "X" counterbore for a 1/4" drill bit. You will need a longer bit than a jobber.
    You tighten this counterbore on the bit with a couple set screws -
    put the bit into the existing hole -
    and drill UP from inside. (you have had the bolts and track removed ).
    This counterbore is made to create a flat for washers. Maybe not in fiberglass but what do you care, this is a one time deal.
    You may get by by just CAREFULLY probing the area around where the bolt comes thru so that a washer will want to fit there - you don't want to go thru the cove! The counterbore makes a 5/8" hole - but you would be just making a flat surface for the washer and nut.
    5/8"s is pretty wide up in the cove. If you have found the smaller 1/4" washers that are 1/2" wide, Fuller has a long Type "M" counter bore for a long 1/4" bit that will make a flat 1/2" circle. Haven't used this one. You're kindof limited by how much room you have to get the cordless drill and bit/counterbore in the cove.
    Fuller is a family-owned outfit.

The extended two winch aluminum base along the coaming - with the center seat - is just an idea.

You may be able to find 'cardboard' sona tubes of many diameters that are used in concrete forming. Usually at your local ready-mix supplier. I happened to have an onlinemetal's shipment sent in one that was close in size to the six inch aluminum pipe I didn't know they had till I looked it up.
    I just made shapes from paper patterns (ideas) and cut them out of the cardboard tube with the jigsaw til I had what looked right. I was trying to design a bowsprit.

It's easy to see that (winch bracket) legs could be got out of cutting pipe lengthwise using NON-parallel lines, wider at one end or the other. Just like furniture. Get nice tapers that have constant radiuses that'll make anything more interesting. I'm just BSing. If the idea coagulates into something interesting maybe it'll appear in the Gallery forum.

I think Kyle should immediately give up sailing for the rest of the season and develop this aluminum winch island idea. Give up on that silly varnished mahogany island he covets so much and spend all the time he can like I do making improvements under a tent in a boat yard. SAILING? H-r-u-m-p-h!
    Last edited by ebb; 08-15-2007 at 08:43 AM.