+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whitby Continental 25

Whitby Continental 25

I ran across this boat in the fixer uppers section of the Good Old Boat website here: <http://www.goodoldboat.com/resources..._sailboats.php>
    What intrigued me, is that the ad says it was built in 1961 and is an Alberg design?? The precursor to the Ariel/Commanders perhaps? Whitby made the Alberg 30's.

Name:  continental_25_photo.jpg
Views: 5092
Size:  19.4 KB

Specs from The Sailboat data website LOA: 25.25 LWL: 19.83 Beam: 7.25 - pretty close to our Ariel/Commanders. But didn't have a designer listed...
    <http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=542>

Name:  continental_25_drawing.jpg
Views: 3628
Size:  31.1 KB

Then, a quick Google search turned up The Great Lakes Alberg Association website <http://www.alberg.ca/default.asp> which says the designer was Kurt Hansen, an immigrant from Denmark who started importing folk boats in the late 50's, then started making them in fiberglass around 1960. <http://www.alberg.ca/about_history.shtml>

Still, quite an interesting boat and a new one to me. A little "boxier" than our boats...

Name:  picwhitby25100b.jpg
Views: 3337
Size:  22.3 KB

Kind of an Ariel/Folkboat hybrid. Nice spacious looking interior though.

Name:  picwhitby25100f.jpg
Views: 7015
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  Whitby25-02.jpg
Views: 3768
Size:  19.8 KB
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

That's amazing!
    The narrower beam is a dead giveaway of its heritage.
    First look at the 'extra' port light and thought it must have a head. But NOPE.

The 8 foot beam of the A/C is due to MORC requirements for small offshore
    Midget Ocean Racers that in 25' Alberg drew, imco, the most perfectly
    proportioned class sailboat ever made.

Alberg 30s (which Kurt Hansen asked Alberg to design) are hugely overbuilt,
    wonder if this is the case with the Continental 25.
    How many were built, how many still with us?
    Last edited by ebb; 12-16-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Way to go Mike! You always seem to eek out some new info on a boat or idea and post it on this forum. They are a bit boxier looking but I like the longer cabintop up front.

I can't completely stand up anywhere but under the main slider anyway so making a comfortable interior would be easy. All in all a nice looking craft. I like the masthead rigging and the transom hung rudder. I wonder if any came with an inboard? Modifying the lazarette for an outboard would be an akward dance with the rudder.
    My home has a keel.

Yep...some had aromic 4's. They are NOT an Alberg design. They are Kurt's modification of a "Folkboat Hull". The keel was a cast iron bolt-on...I prefer our Ariels set up.... No bolts to rust. Sure look like an Alberg cabin top....wonder where he got that idea? ;-)

I've been in the factory and have the original brochere. If anyone is interested...I can dig it up-scan it and post. The length/beam etc is all folkboat. Slightly deeper draft do to increased displacement. Just forward of the bulhead was a hanging locker to port with a door. To use the head you swung the locker door over. The head was to stbd under a Vberth extention. Neet set-up really. I owned a 64 so they did make the for a few years. I once saw a 66 advrtised. Kurt told me they stopped as they cost so close to the 30 to produce.

+ Reply to Thread