+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sail configurations

sail configurations

I have been slowly repairing an Ariel (#132) in Honolulu over the past few years, and am finally preparing for an interisland sail. The last item on my list is to secure a "bulletproof" headsail that can withstand 30 plus knot winds for cruising in the Hawaiian islands. Even though the distances are short, most people here prepare for such a sail as if it were off-shore, blue water cruising due to the risks involved. I have been checking out a lot of sites for both used and new sails, but this is my question:

What are the optimal sail configurations for this type of sailing for an Ariel? For example, Do I go with a smaller headsail (75%) and perhaps one reef in the main, or with a genoa (120%) and two reefs in the main. I am worried that a larger headsail, despite the double reef, will be overpowered, but that a smaller headsail may not provide a lot of power to move the boat upwind.

In the case of the smaller headsails, I have found it virtually impossible to find used sails with approporiate dimensions for the Ariel that are heavy weight (probably 8 oz Dacron) with hanks. Many sales reps have suggested that I have one custom built, but before I do that, want to make sure I have the optimal sailing configuration. (my main sail can be double reefed).

I am on a shoestring budget trying to realize a dream of sailing interisland in Hawaii, but can probably only invest in one headsail right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Search on "Hogan Sails" for a source here on the West Coast. (Ariel Assn members get a special price.)

Here on SF Bay, we use a 110% working jib and standard mainsail with one reef for similar wind conditions. Some sailors don't ever reef, but that will scare the crew! It is fun, however, to see the top rail under and water skimming past the large fixed ports

See the appendix in the manual for a description of working sails.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    No easy answer. Less sail inventory gives you less options.

Generally, I think the boat likes the biggest headsail conditions will allow, reefing the main down first.

30 kts is alot of wind, and you see higher gusts. You can be overpowered with either a 75 or 120 going to windward.

I thought this $250 storm jib was pretty reasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Does seem small though. And you may end up with a sail that is useless for everday use. Most of these sails never see daylight

You definitely dont want to go bareheaded. Progress to weather can be very slow in waves with just the mainsail

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Fun bit of sailing last night. Went to go see the big fireworks show at Jones Beach. Cruising down the State Boat Channel (like the ICW) Flat water, beam reach, big wind.

Single reef and Genoa rolled out to 100. Just flying

They ended up cancelling the fireworks show. Ocean was too rough for the fireworks barge.

Oh well

Recorded wind speed in knots

Date Time Dir. WSPD Gusts

07 05 12:00 am S 27 30

07 04 11:00 pm S 28 30

07 04 10:00 pm S 30 34

07 04 9:00 pm S 29 31

07 04 8:00 pm S 29 34

07 04 7:00 pm S 26 30

07 04 6:00 pm S 26 28

07 04 5:00 pm S 24 28
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 07-06-2007 at 10:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread