+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Self steering systems - Wind Vanes

Post Self steering systems - Wind Vanes

Hi there,
    Well my boat is high and dry, i hauled early, about a month ago, so I could start martime school. And I hope to use the association as a resource for a class. And for my ariel, here in Maine. I would like to add a simple self steering system, that uses the wind and the existing rudder. I have read about some but know not of any. Does any one have one? Or know of a good company? Please let me know, and I will writting up my findings for the class and for the news bulletin.
    Thanks
    Elie #20

MONITOR WIND VANE

A very simple and reliable windvane is Scanmar's Monitor Windvane. Had one on a 30 foot offshore cruiser. The company has a Web page at www.selfsteer.com. Good luck with your classes

I like the looks of the sailomat windvane.

http://www.sailomat.com/home.html

One of these would cost almost as much as I paid for #92!

Thumbs up self steering

Thanks, I will check these links out and report my progress

Smile

Well I have recieved some replies. Scanmar Monitor made a rig for an Ariel and sent me detail of the stern monting. Made be we can order a bakers dozen? I also found a book by Bill Belcher that givens plan for a home made rig that runs the tiller.
    Does the Association have larger drawings of the Ariel's Lines as in page 144 of the second addition, availible?
    Thanks again

Elie,
    I have some copies of commander drawings. The Association has some that I sent them, but they seem to have misplaced them. Anyway, I'd like to see how the Monitor model was mounted on one of our diminutive transoms. The Sail-0-Mat would require an extension plate up about 7 inches from the top of the transom. That would put it up to about 36 inches above the water according to my drawings. I'd be somewhat concerned about the looks of any contraption hanging off the stern, but I'd appreciate the function.

I'm also reading a book, Self-Steering for Sailing Craft. I picked it up on ebay for about $12. It is out of print, from the early sixties or seventies. You, studying this, should get it. It goes way into the engineering priniples, if not all the computation details that would be required to actually engineer one. It is mainly about how to do it yourself if you are not a big company trying to make a "product" for mass production.

David

We have Alberg's full scale lines drawing. It was the master for the one on page 144. In fact, I have a full scale copy hanging in my office. If you need a copy, we can have it duplicated. I think the duplication cost was around $8. And then there would be the mailing tube and postage. E-mail me your preference.

Bill

Here are two drawings that Scanmar sent me, for two different systems, but boy do they cost some! I aslo found a book Wind Vane Self Steering by Bill Belcher gives plans for a home made version that works just the tiller.

Bill I would like drawings where do I send the check?
    Attached Files

Lightbulb

I'm planning on converting #45 to a yawl rig .
    From a distance , she will look just like my favorite Pearson Triton .
    I have had yawls in the past and found they can be ballanced with the mizzen to where she will track for hours with a bungee attached to the tiller from the coamings .
    You can also get more complicated and run the mizzen sheet to the tiller .
    The yawl rig will give more sail options , a platform for antennas , etc. that is far more accessable than the masthead .
    Have experience with several tiller devices and they all had fairly heavy battery drain .
    The windvanes will spoil the looks of the boat and add weight aft .

That's my 2 cents worth .

Mike

A yawl is an interesting option. What are your spec.s, do you have parts of an old rig you are recycling? How big of a sail will you bend?
    I do have concerns about weight in the transom, and appearence, of the vane. But I am just researching for the moment.

I am recycling an old mast , 16' ,and I think the whole rig will only be about 30 lbs.
    The luff will be close to 14' and the foot between 4' & 6' . The proportions are much like the main .

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Tiller Pilot On Sale

Hi Y'awl

Sailnet.com has the Raytheon ST1000 Plus Tiller Autopilot on sale for $390.00. Comes with a free remote.

West Marine catalog lists it at $450.00 and the remote at $190.00.

I'm too much of a traditionalist for these electronic innovations (read: too cheap).

I agree with Steve. The cost and ugliness of a wind vane could only be justified if you plan some serious passagemaking.

Ketch ya later.

A little secret when dealing with West Marine , see if you can qualify for a 'Port Supply' card , it may take some BSing but it is worth it .
    It will give very deep discounts on stuff from West marine . I got 40% off a $600 battery charger/inverter .Doesn't help much on electronics like radios , GPS , etc. ( not much markup ) . Helps a lot on paint , brushes , varnish and other maintenance supplies .

scale drawings

you know what you can do to get "scale" drawings is to take them down to a copy center and have them blow it up to 1/2" per foot. A little difficult with the overall dimension but close enuf, it's no grand piano. I have them on the walls all over the kitchen

research paper

well here are my conclusions based on the limited reseach I conducted. Thank you for all the replies. Please tell me what you think
    Elie

+ Reply to Thread