+ Reply to Thread

Thread: emergency rudder

emergency rudder

www.bluemoment.com/emergencyrudders.html
    is a reprint of the original Bob MacFarland article (without pics) that I ran into years ago.
    www.pineapplesail.com (click 'articles') has very helpful actual installations with photos that might help developing the idea for the Ariel.

I've never seen photos of an emergency rudder in use.
    The emergency rudder concept could be used to find out if a permanent transom hung rudder is feasible.

Ebb

have you considered a rudder that mounts in the outboard well.. either bolted to the engine mount or a blade mounted in the engine well plug?

bill@ariel231

bill,
    sounds like a good idea!
    definitely a design oportunity there for them who have a smaller OB that can be removed to allow a custom cassette style rudder to be put in. The unit would be smaller than a transom mount cassette rudder - easier and safer too. Closer to the keelhung rudder position - mounted thru the OB well - seems advantageous.

The experiment would be exciting, because the blade rudder would have to be at 90degrees to the waterline according to literature on the subject, which may present a whole new steering feel to an Ariel.

If the cassette rudder became something good enough to be permanent, you'd have something that could be pulled and worked on. You could have a spare at the ready. Wonder if anyone would be brave enough to remove the keelhung rudder entirely?

The challenge I see in a design that would fit thru the OB well, or off the transom, is the narrow aspect of the rudder blade. I believe this 'dinghy' shape would work efficiently, and maybe more efficiently than the original because it is much lighter, not inclined, not at an angle. It definitely is worth looking into - IF I only had the time........ YOU, bill????

Unfortunately Little Gull has a premantently installed tilting OB in the OB well.
    We will be depending on a constellation style rudder that is on a lines drawing by Alberg on page 144 in the Manual. While the rudder has 6' of s. bronze rod for a shaft, it has instead of smaller rods, three 2" bronze plate doublers welded to the shaft into narrow 'V's that will form a simple and very strong armature for the PVC foam core blade.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-02-2007 at 02:22 PM.

I'm willing to consult, but I no longer have an outboard well.
    it could be an interesting experiment. the rudder would need to be of a very narrow chord to fit in the outboard well... might even have room to steer through the cutout into the cockpit footwell...

I look forward to seeing your "Constellation" style rudder. While the rudder's namesake is lost, her older sister "Columbia" and younger siblings "Interpid" and "Freedom" are a regulary sight here in newport... http://www.sparkmanstephens.com/design/12_meter.html
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 07-03-2007 at 04:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread