+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Deck 'Job'

The Deck 'Job'

I was just onboard 113 and had a most unusual, maybe unsettling, experience. Typically when I'm onboard there is one of a dozen jobs I'm attempting to accomplish in the short amount of time I have before trodding off to work. Maybe it's the cold Fall air, but, this morning I was just sitting below taking stock of what's to be.

There are sheets of pattern stock lying on top of the cabin and forward port blocking out the light from a nearby light fixture. When I peeked into the v-berth area I noticed an orange/red glow coming from the overhead created by the side-decks. Intially it didn't hit me because the same orange/red glow can be seen in the areas where I filled in the port and starboard opening ports. Currently those areas are made up of epoxy, fiberglass cloth, matting and microbaloons.

I knew from removing the non-skid and deck paint earlier this summer that a deck job had done because of the tell-tale red colored fairing mixture underneath. That and the fact the side-decks by the cockpit still have the 'what were they thinking blue'(Lackey) color visible. What wasn't apparent, until this morning, was the fact that someone has removed nearly all of the coring from the forward decks!

How does this change things? The decks are solid feeling. They certainly don't creak or pop but now I feel they need strengthening. It's understood that, as long as the adhesion is uncompromised, the 'skin-core-skin' schedule is stronger than solid fiberglass.

I can't see myself laying a couple of layers of fabric over the entire decks and fairing out the whole mess. New stringers bonded inplace below the decks seem most logical right now. Aussie Geoff has some on UHURU. It seems like a good second line of defense for deck strength. They could be used as attachment points for handholds or small padeyes for secring gear in the v-berth.

If we can get a picture of this orange/red phenomenon to turn out I'll post one. For future reference, it may be as significant as Area 59 or maybe Funk 49 depending on your bend

As always, any input or reflection is appreciated. Tony G

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G
    What wasn't apparent, until this morning, was the fact that someone has removed nearly all of the coring from the forward decks!
    Are you positive that this is the case? Is it possible that the decks were recored with something that would allow light to come through in this way? I'm thinking specifically of Nida-Core or similar... Just a thought.
    Nathan
    Dasein, Triton 668
    www.dasein668.com

Positive? No.

Given the work that I've dicovered so far on my journey, I never would have expected something as advanced as Nida-Core. So far this seems to be a plywood and silicon boat.

What are the characteristics of Nida-Core (and others) insitu? I guess some exploratory holes are in order... I'll definitly post the findings if I can figure out what I find. Tony G

Nida is a plastic honey-comb material. Makes for strong lightweight core material, and is probably more rot/delam resistant, although I would still take LOTS of care to keep water out of the decks.

Nida Core Website
    Nathan
    Dasein, Triton 668
    www.dasein668.com

Hey Tony,
    Original coring was balsa endgrain between a top and bottom of glass. It's possible that this composite is stiffer than solid laminations of glass and plastic, but in no way stronger. If you have 1/2 to 5/8s inch solid laminate, you can land jet fighters on it. I wouldn't quibble except for the weight factor. It sure is the correct deck for anchor work.

Seems to me that pvc foam cores would transmit light thru if the gelcoats and/or paint was removed. Haven't tested this out. But sunny amber colors do show thru where repairs and thruhulls have been plugged on 338, and have not been topcoated.

May I suggest the scientific approach? Clear the decks of all current projects and stomp the hell out of it. Might cheat and land with your hells when you jump. Repair holes with favorite modern overpriced materials.

Epoxy likes to stick to pvc foam. But I have not ever seen the tenacity that polyester and glass has for end grain balsa. When you isolate balsa from moisture it's a grand strong deck. The parts of the deck that survived Pearson piercings in the way of track and hardware are still going strong after all these decades.
    Last edited by ebb; 10-12-2004 at 10:51 PM.

Ebb,
    For the last two weeks I've been hunting around for the stem fitting. I have no idea on how I could have been so idiotic as to lose it. I thought I nailed it down yesterday. In the rafters above the boat. Nope. While I was up there and mad to boot I figured I'd have nothing to lose...so I tried your scientific approach. Happy to report she's sound as a Pound.

Still confused, Tony G

+ Reply to Thread