+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Compasses Magnetism Electrical Panel

Compasses Magnetism Electrical Panel

Has any body got a compass on the portside of the companion way. Mine is
    mounted to the aft of the cabin roof. (That would be the back wall of the cabin roof, just forward of the cockpit). My electrical panel is on the same side except it is on the inside. What I would like to know is what is the best way to shield the compass from the panel.

John
    Last edited by Sprite; 10-02-2005 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Left word out fixed

Move it to the STBD side!

OOOKAY

John

Use the hole on the port side for a knot meter.

Maybe one of you can substantiate this. I recall reading, and I can't remember where, that one should twist the wires around each other when wiring a boat. That way they 'cancel out' or shield the rest of the electrical components from interference caused by electricity flowing through the power feeds.

Anybody else hear of this? Did I imagine the whole thing? Would it even apply to a situation like this where you have terminals or a buss bar in a row?

Tony -

Don Casey, in his great (for electrically challenged people like me) "Sailboat Electrics Simplified", says to twist wires whenever you are running a pair to cut down on stray fields.

But I think that has more to do with RF interference than with magnetism.

Compass next to electrical box = Bad. I don't know if you even could shield it, at least properly & without a lot of fuss. Easier to move it and put a knotmeter or depth gauge there. Katie's compass is mounted on it's own companionway drop board, which is still too close to the electrical stuff IMO. Wouldn't the turning on of circuits create magnetic fields, thus making it impossible to properly swing the compass? Unless you were to keep track of all the possible deviations for every possible switch setting. On Katie, those 5 switches would make for how many different possibles? I'm math challenged, too, but it's too many more than I'd care to keep track of...

Compasses are solitary instruments which need, even demand, their own space.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Exclamation Just Keep It Away From Ferrous Metals

Dont Keep It Near Speakers,microphones And Ferrous Metals And The Like.3 Or 4 Feet Away And Any Stray Currents From Electrical Feilds Wont Be Enough For You To Tell The Difference.besides Most People Cant Hold A Course Within 5 Or Ten Degrees Continuosly Especially In A Quartering Sea.When running downwind on starcrest under twin headsails even with the monitor vane steering,it fishtailed 15 -20 degrees each way.and now with the advent of gps all my course headings are measured in true headings.besides,dont you know that DEAD MEN REALLY CANT VOTE TWICE????AND TIMID VIRGINS DONT MAKE DULL COMPANIONS.....(A REAL NAVIGATOR KNOWS WHAT THAT MEANS)
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 10-16-2005 at 12:44 AM.

Thumbs up True Virgins Make Dull Company

............If you add whiskey .
    My Grandad would always add that to that little memory aid .

Dead Men Can't Vote Twice, the "really" confuses the issue and has no place or column .

Also heard ;
    Dead Men Can't Touch Virgins
    Dead Men Can't tickle Virgins
    Two Virgins Did Call Me

And after much rum;

Dead Virgins Can't Trust Most ................Men

You see folks the secret here is in the letters T,V,M,C, D and how it all relates to compasses and Navigating .
    Last edited by Mike Goodwin; 10-16-2005 at 05:46 AM.

I thought if you twisted the wires the field would cancel. To clarify another
    point. My compass was mounted on a block of wood which then was screwed
    into the aft portside wall of the cabin. So there is wood plus the wall itself blocking the fuse box is this adequate shielding. Does anyone know whether
    there are marine junction boxes available anywhere?

John

Every decent marine store carries them and some of the indecent ones too .

I checked out West's but did not see them any suggestions.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite
    I checked out West's but did not see them any suggestions.
    Check out Defender's panels:

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|328&id=299263

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    ............If you add whiskey .
    My Grandad would always add that to that little memory aid .

Dead Men Can't Vote Twice, the "really" confuses the issue and has no place or column .

Also heard ;
    Dead Men Can't Touch Virgins
    Dead Men Can't tickle Virgins
    Two Virgins Did Call Me

And after much rum;

Dead Virgins Can't Trust Most ................Men

You see folks the secret here is in the letters T,V,M,C, D and how it all relates to compasses and Navigating .
    These memory aids are to remember how to convert from true to magnetic compass readings. Unless you have a gyro compass onboard, they are just ways to sound salty. They are cool though.

Twisting wires does cancel out the electromagnetic field. with regard to the illuminating light (assuming you have one) it is particularly important that the wires leading to the light are twisted.

What you should be concerned with is the electromagnetic field (which the twisted pair cancels out. Electromagnetism and magnetism are the same. This has nothing to do with RF radiation.

My suggestion is that you set the compass to go each of the four ways, and then turn on the switches, one by one, and see if any of them make any difference. If not, you are in good shape. If they all do, you are in terrible shape, and if only a couple do, you can do more to twist wires in the box, or alternatively, not turn on those switches.

Keep in mind that it is the flowing current that creates electromagnetic fields, not voltage. Also, the strength of the electromagnetic field is a function of the amount of current, and is not a function of the the voltage. No current flowing, no electromagnetic field.

Hope this helps.

Theis,

That is something Im glad you brought up. The wires to the socket for the light
    to illuminate the compass weren't twisted. I pulled it out because it was completely corroded. I bought a new perko socket to replace it. Now I will twist the new wire.

Thanks

John

+ Reply to Thread