+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hatch Latch

Hatch Latch

Does anyone have a suggestion of what type of latch I can use for the foward hatch on my commander. The one I have keeps popping open.

One nice hatch latch mod, or change out was Done by Geoff on his boat UHURU. You can find a photo of it in the gallery pages on this forum under "Geoff's Aussie Photo Gallery". Fast forward to page 10 and scroll down to post#146. Or, start at page one and go through the whole thread like I usually do! However you choose to handle it, take a few pics and post them!
    My home has a keel.

latch prob.

I just typed 'hatch latch' in the Search bar on top of the page here - CEILI Commander 256 came up.
    Went through the pages of Chance Smith's absolutely amazing three year old refurbish/remodel. A consumate artist.

He has a way with epoxy and fiberglass that has to be seen to be believed!
    We're fortunate he gave us pictures of his gorgeous work, never enough of them, but Chance is obviously a genius at this.

CEILI has recently come up for sale. I'd pay $15,000 cash for her on the spot. But I'm too far in debt with my baby.
    It's on craigslist and will go for a song.
    Don't know the story why this talented guy has to divorce himself from this beautyful and authentic rebirth of a fine old day sailor.
    Feel this one in the gut. Seems so so sad.
    Of course it may not be sad at all.
    Maybe Chance inherited a fully restored Alberg 35 and is setting sail on a circumnavigation. Hope so.

Sorry jshisha, I found nothing about the latch on the CEILI thread.

But can recommend to you the tour.
    If the latch is original and not a replacement by a DFO then it is bulletproof and probably bronze.
    You might check in with RICO, another master Commander refurbishmentarian, on his thread.

Probably good to post a photo of the miscreant catch, if you can, to get some Commander feedback.
    It may just be a matter of resetting, rebedding, refastening - something like that.
    Last edited by ebb; 12-02-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Hatch Latch

Thanks you. Looking at Aussies posts solved my problem. if I mount the U shaped recepticle that the blot on my existign latch fits into on a block of wood, it will be on a right angle and will most likely not pop out. Thanks

Sure you're not missing the conical washer that comes with the latch?

Here is the link to Geoff's mod: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...3320#post13320

That is sweet. When I open my hatch, I usually have to bungee it to the mast so as not to remove any little fingers if it falls. Love the final product a couple posts down. Don't think I saw origins of the hardware.

Here is the first version - 15 bucks each.
    Name:  latch1.gif
Views: 1594
Size:  155.2 KB

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststlo1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    Here is the first version - 15 bucks each.
    Attachment 8054

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststlo1.html
    Thanks. I thing I will buy it

+ Reply to Thread