+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teak grate for Ariel cockpit

Teak grate for Ariel cockpit

I have had A-205 (Sirocco) undergoing refurb since last Spring and I hope to splash her this Spring. Part of the work will include relocating the fuel filler port starboard and aft, instead of leaving it in the center of the cockpit floor and rather than just reinstalling the filler cap in the floor, I'm thinking of installing a water tight rectangular access port in the floor so I have access to the rear of the engine and prop shaft, etc. should that need ever arise.

So, to cover the access port, I want to get a teak grate for the cockpit floor and I was wondering if anyone on this board can give me any guidance or suggestion about the types of grates to consider, who to contact to build one and if you feel there are any disadvantages in having one.

I really like mine. It is in three sections, so they're easy to pull for winter storage, cleaning, etc. The design for mine (came with the boat) is fairly intricate - I'd be happy to snap close ups of the joinery and configuration if it would be useful to you. (Pictures in this post)
    Alternately, in Don Casey's 100 Fast and Easy Boat Improvements, he has a layout for a pretty simple one. I've thought that if I ever needed to replace mine, I might use his plan. The instructions also include how to install cleats to make the same grate convert your cockpit into one large berth for sleeping under the stars. There are a number of clever projects in the book - worth your 10 bucks, I think.

p.s. The book has a couple great ideas on efficient stowage as well - one I will use eventually describes wire baskets that fit into 2 long slotted cleats inside the aft of each cockpit locker. Some good ideas on making good use of otherwise dead space....
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 01-17-2011 at 11:18 AM.

You bet, that's exactly what I want. I think what I'm gonna do is find someone on WWW who builds them and just order one, but I had not thought of having one made in 3 sections, which sound like a great idea. Do you suppose that you could find out from a PO who made that grate? thanks, j

I just sent Matt a note. Will let you know. You could probably get by with two sections for an Ariel. LD's grate pieces fit easily into the trunk of my Passat wagon...

Jon -

I've a friend, Charlie Jones, who is a very experienced woodworker/boatbuilder that could make a grate like that. He is back landside right now, working on padding the cruising kitty (he and his wife have been out for about 2 years on their Rhodes 24 - see here - that they restored from a nasty, gutted hull to a *very nice* cruiser). If needed/wanted, I'll put you in touch with him to see if he could get that done for you. I know he has a commitment to repair the hull/ama of a 36' plywood Cross tri before they head back out later this spring, so he'll have tools and materials, and has done that sort of thing before...
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Gratomg

If the cost is reasonable I would like to order a grate for Commander 131.

Kyle and Kurt, I would be so appreciative if you all could get me in touch with your contacts on the grate. I've got a bit of time before I'll need it, but time passes quickly and I'd love to have it in before the season starts, here in Oklahoma. You can PM me and I'll get back to you. Thanks again, guys. j

Quote Originally Posted by jshisha View Post
    If the cost is reasonable I would like to order a grate for Commander 131.
    As I have a couple weak spots in mine, when I had mine repaired last spring, I asked for a ballpark to replace it. This guy said probably a $Grand$! - hence thinking of Casey's simpler plan. So, I don't know what your standards are for "reasonable." Kurt's friend, having done it before, may be less expensive. The teak is expensive, but the labor is another thing.

PO Matt, tells me he bought my boat with the grate. I left a message with the owner 2-prior and will advise if I hear anything. That being said, whoever created it, did so at least 15 years ago.

Offer for close-up shots of the configuration stands if required.

I sent a message to CJ referencing this thread, I imagine he'll get back to me when he sees that and I'll let you know what he has to say.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Heard from earlier PO, Rich - the teak grate on Lucky Dawg was produced 45 years ago! Pretty amazing construction. He said about $3000 for his shop (YachtWorks in Sturgeon Bay, WI http://www.yachtworks.net / rich@yachtworks.net ) to construct for a Commander. Rich suggested finding a nice retired carpenter for the job!

gratings floorboards

www.cruisingconcepts.com
    sell kits and grating grids for $70 and $125 a square.
    They have a whole list of doodahs, so they may be an import outfit.
    If you order from them make sure the teak is Burmese.

Interesting they show the grate FRAMELESS in their cockpit photo.
    If the grate is interlocking and epoxy glued you wouldn't need a frame.
    MAYBE. Forget how truncated the cockpit sole is.*
    Except for all the ends sticking out - but how often will the boards be up?
    Picture on the site: frameless doesn't look bad at all.

They also show slatted floorboard in the cockpit. Something we haven't talked about.
    This doesn't look bad at all either.
    Slats will give a finished look right off, no framing.
    Running off at the ends would even be acceptable.
    I think Folkboats did it.

Varnishing grating is impossible, for sanity you let let it gray without any finish.
    But the slats could be varnished succesfully.
    They'd look spiffy!.
    I would try low maintenance LeTonkinois here.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________
    * The gratings from CruisingConcepts are one inch grid.
    So if our cockpits get narrower toward the back, the grating would be cut to fit
    and there would be a lot of nasty sharp short cross pieces sticking out.
    (I would make a carboard template to see what's what.)
    Imco an extra length of long stuff could be glued on to the siede of the grating
    after triming off the short ends - thereby making a smooth side that could then be trimmed to fit.
    Easy.
    The same technique could be used around the rudder tube if needed.
    Last edited by ebb; 01-21-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    They also show slatted floorboard. Something we never talk about. This doesn't look bad at all either. ......Varnishing grating is impossible, so you'd for sanity let it gray.
    Casey's version is slatted - like the one on the right at the link you offered. Honestly, the grate is NOT comfortable on bare feet. I almost always wear deck shoes, but my kids don't tend to. Cool as it appears, it ain't a comfy surface.

Springtime teak cleaning and teak oil is a nice clean-slate way for me to kick off the season. Looks sumptuous at the outset. Its greying over the summer doesn't bother me - reminds me of it getting lots of good use - or sunshine - both are good with me.

p.s. plan from Practical Sailor for construction attached
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 01-21-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: attached pdf

Several years ago there was a few photos posted on this forum of a Commander located in Italy. It was a beauty (as they all are) with black topsides. I believe she had a slatted platform in her cockpit and it was one thing that made her stick out in my mind. Unfortunately the computer and all of those painstakingly researched boat photos are long gone...bummer. Maybe Mike or Pete have saved them somewhere. The slatted version would require less material and at the price of teak...
    My home has a keel.

slatted floorboards

Not being argumentative,
    BUT
    you know if you make a slatted floorboard you can position the slats as close together as your feet tolerate.
    And you can ease the edges.
    Might even be happy hippy foot massage quality.

If made in two long HALVES the boards could be hinged (and thereby secured in place.)
    and the sole hosed and cleaned.
    Hinged up and clipped to the side well, they would stay up and stay dry
    If the hinges had loose pins the floorboards could also be removed.
    And mounted at seat level for a 'double' bunk under the stars.

Teak rough is $25 a board foot these days.
    I may do something like the above in
    mahogany. The poor man's teak.

Looking at the cockpit grate photo in the Practical Sailor article,
    I'd pull a toenail off in those HOLES!
    I think that Popular Mechanics style article by Practical Sailor
    scares me away from gratings once and for all.
    I didn't like either method.

I made framed grates once with the cross pieces nibbed into the frame, you have to be precise, your planning nearly perfect.
    The pieces have to fit tight to look good. Lot of waste, lot of dust,
    lot of time.
    You will end up with something gorgeous, no fastenings.

My slat floorboards will have rows of screw heads showing - no bungs.
    If the outboard motor gouges a slat I can replace it.

TO EACH HIS OWN SOLE
    Last edited by ebb; 01-21-2011 at 04:07 PM.

After reading the latest comments, it might make more sense to build or buy something along the lines of the floor boards or a cabin sole, rather than the grate. I don't mind the occasional refinishing but like the rest of you I prefer comfort and keeping mine and my shipmates toenails intact. I'll look into the floorboards and get back. Thanks for the input and for the links, everyone.

+ Reply to Thread