+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tuning guide

Tuning guide

I would like to build my roller furler but have not yet recieved my Ariel Class Manual which I assume hase a tuning guide nor have I stepped the mast. My forestay measures out @ 32'6" with the turnbuckle at its midpoint. What should be my target lenght? I'm thinking uppers and forward lowers @ about 22 on the Loos gauge or 460lbs, aft lowers @ around 18 on the Loos or 380lbs with 2"-3" prebend. Am I close? Any other tips?

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I have a notation that my furler was installed based on a pin to pin headstay length of 32' 6 3/4". It may be a hair too long, so you could be right on.

There is a tuning guide in the Manual. I don't have a Loos guage, but I usually put equal tension on the uppers and forward lowers. Aft lowers not much more than hand tight.

At one point I tried to induce more bend in the mast by cranking on the backstay and forward lowers. I couldn't detect a difference in sailing performance or weather helm, although I didn't approach it very scientifically. It did make the forward chainplates start leaking

I should probably experiment more

+ Reply to Thread