Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

Don't think so, man.
    In that pic you see a single piece jig frame laid on top of the up stuff.
    Had to reach into the tank and do the filleting upside down - and essentially unseen.

It worked out OK but I didn't end up with the beauteous fillets you have here, post #434.
    Had many filmy extensions of epoxy that had to be sanded back to the cove after the jig was removed.
    Told self nobody would ever see the sloppy work!

The problem really is how do you get the gel into the corners you want filleted.
    My method after epoxy priming and wiping dry the corners was to use the 2" brush
    and dab gobs of gel directly into the corners. Precise method! Then use the filleting spatula to smooth in a cove.
    Messy.
    The trick was to custom each plastic former, cove maker, to the space the cove former had to run in.
    I use the pliable green spreaders most suppliers have now. - cut to fit, including 'sharpening' the rounded 'finger' The idea is to scrape clean the sides as you press in a decent cove.

In the pic at post 170, the cove along the hull had a custom spreader of less than a right angle because it had to ride along the hull, which tilts inward.
    Mini bulkhead/baffles across the tank used a right angle cove maker.
    Custom cove makers that bear on both flats of the corner almost eliminate clean up. Otherwise you probably leave behind a hard ridge of material you didn't pull into the corner.

But making sure you also get a completely filled-in cove is a problem.
    This, Tony, you solved with your jig what allows making fillets from the GRAVITY side,
    the TOP. In plein sight.
    These fillets spanning the top, are put there so that the lid has plenty of surface to be glued to.
    In case somebody wants to know. After you butter up the lid and get it in place, it's so easy to reach in the access hole to wipe off the squeeze out with an alcohol damp rag.
    Any gallon of liquid will be proud to splash against what you are creating inside your tank. Huzzah!

But then what are you using to seal the tank?
    Last edited by ebb; 09-02-2010 at 10:12 AM.