+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winch Placement

Winch Placement

Has anyone placed their winches on the mast on the sides of the
    companion way. I wondered if you did do this, If you had a picture.

John

John,

Which winches? My Commander has a small winch to port of the hatch for the jib halyard. I have been thinking of putting a plate underneath the mast and using deck organizers and line clutches to lead my spinnaker halyard aft as well as the jib halyard.

My next major purchase will be a set of #16 self tailers for the jib, and maybe a set of tuning blocks to improve the lead forward to the winches.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

I was thinking of putting in deck organizers and adding moving the
    winches on both sides of the companionway. The winches on the mast are
    shot and corroded. I was thinking of self tailing Andersons as a replacement.

John

Like this?

This is from Commander P's gallery. I was checking for some glamour shots of "Grace" which are woefully absent, I might add. Especially considering his newly painted mast. Got that Cmdr Pete? Let's see pictures! (Of your boat, that is...)
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

You might want to look at the following thread:
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...read.php?t=283

Also, check out the halyard organizer plate installation on A #100 beginning with post #7 at:
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...read.php?t=691

And there is much more on the subject scattered around in the various threads

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    First of all, some people prefer to keep the lines at the mast. Leading them aft causes some complications and adds more friction to the line.

You have to think it through. How many lines will I be using? Where am I gonna do the reefing from?

I decided to lead everything back with triple organizers and rope clutches leading to winches on each side. I'll get some pics, but its similar to the diagram below.

The cabintop of the Ariel and Commander are different. On the Ariel, I think the lines from the mast need to exit higher, to get up to the cabintop.

On the Commander, the companionway runners are in the way. You need to get the lines down to the deck, and then over to organizers, and then back.

You need winches on the cabintop. Self-tailers are nice but not necessary. The rope clutch keeps the line from slipping.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 09-19-2005 at 07:49 AM.

C Pete - just curious. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) actually have your reefing set up so you can do it from the cockpit? Also, do you have a downhaul rigged for the Main sail too?

I have a LOAD of leaking hardware mounted on my cabintop that is not being used. I'm currently planning on removing the whole mess since it isn't set up well anyway. It doesn't make sense to me to have just SOME lines lead back to the cockpit...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Reefing Lines To Cockpit

The three lines on the starboard side of the cabin top on Maika'i are the main halyard and the fore and aft reef lines. Reefing is all done from the cockpit.

The lines on the port side (currently) are the vang, outhaul and Cunningham. Open clutches are for the jib halyard and a yet to be installed jib halyard downhaul.

Gallery photos of A100 and others illustrate all of this.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Found a picture.

I only have the leech reefing line set up so far. I've been using a hook for the luff at the mast. To finish that project I just need to install an eyestrap on one side of the mast and a cheekblock on the other side.

A simple job, but I can't seem to work on the boat during the summer.

Improved the main downhaul with a fiddle block/ cam cleat so I can haul that line from the cockpit.
    Attached Images  

I think my boat had a winch on the portside of the companionway their are
    holes that have been since filled in there is this common for Ariels

John

Cabin top winches were/are owner installed for sail trim and halyard control. As such, there is no consistency in their placement, size or whatever. Primaries, on the othe hand, were usually placed by the factory as part of an optional equipment package. Original winches were South Coast #2s or the equivalent Merriman's.

So they were optional. I am going to need a total replacement,
    My were pretty much fused together due to lack of maintenance
    and the yard said there was no way to salvage them (pauls everything) they were too far gone.

John

+ Reply to Thread