+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gray water holding tanks

Gray water holding tanks

I have heard that it is illegal in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire,
    Vermont and possible Maine for dumping gray water (sink water) overboard.
    I was just wondering if anyone installed a holding tank for the sink.

John

Rhode Islands DEM policy appears to cover just the head (the issue is coliform bacteria)....

effective june 2006 all boats in RI waters are required to obtain and display a decal showing the boat's state of compliance with the current no discharge policy...

here's the link for anyone affected in RI:
    http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/benvi...s/pumpcomp.pdf

Looks like I need to add a pumpout logbook to be in full compliance ....

PS. Massachusetts appears to have a similar policy (i.e. just the head is an issue):
    http://www.mass.gov/czm/marinas/guid...6chapter_6.pdf
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-23-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Talking When Ya Gotta Go...ya Just Gotta Go.

THATS WHY WE HAVE BUCKETS.WHEN I HELPED BRING THAT HUNDRED FOOTER TO HAWAII,IT WAS LESS THAN HALF COMPLETE.IT WAS A HERMAPHRODITE BRIGANTINE WITH A QSUARE SAIL MADE OUT OF A SPINNAKER.ALL THE STAYSAILS WERE FROM 30 FOOT BOATS.(thats why it took 25 days to get there)TO TURN THE RUNNING LITES ON BARE WIRES WERE CONNECTED TO A BATTERY.IT WAS TILLER STEERED.THE TILLER WAS TEN FEET LONG.IT TOOK 3 PEOPLE ON THE TILLER TO COME ABOUT.THERE WERE 9 OF US ON BOARD....WE ALL CRAPPED IN THE SAME BUCKET.AS IT TURNED OUT THAT BOAT BECAME 57 TONS OF SPLINTERS ON A REEF IN MAUI DUE TO HURRICANE INIKI

greywater tank rant

hey bill,
    We had better pay attention to this new wrinkle as it is not so improbable to predict that taking a boat out for a sail will become illegal because of some draconian sphinctor of prohibitions and regulations.

It's too bad that things are so bad that good sense and stewardship now has to have rules. When did we lose the initiative to care for our environment ourselves.

Big bubba boats (the real polluters) now can be fitted with another big box that has a diesel or propane fired boiler to boil off bilge (after it goes thru the oil/water separator) and greywater. Some entrepreneur will soon market an efficient mini solar powered "bilge and greywater recycliung system with zero liguid discharge" for Sunday sail compliance. The installation will still be too big and too expensive for an Ariel.

Sadly, the bucket approach will always be an alternative. In the meantime maybe it is time for small boat skippers to have onboard earth friendly, biodegradable, natural detergents for bods, boat and basin. There really are many really good products available these days. It requires you change your lubberly ways. leave your chemicals under the sink at home. Not all biodegradables are as bio as they suggest on the label.

Think of what goes down the drains in your house. Maybe the powers that be (us) should just say no to using water polluting products all together. Force or rather reward mainstream manufacturers for non toxic cleaning products. And start now to change the don't know s... and who gives a s... attitudes for something more friendly and awake.

Befor long, who's to say that hosing off your boat won't be creating greywater?
    Maybe you'll have to plug up your cockpit drains and shut off your seacocks while sailing in the Bay?
    Maybe the CG will come aboard to seal your galley pump.
    And deactivate your automatic bilge pump. Yep.
    Last edited by ebb; 12-26-2005 at 08:13 AM.

Thumbs down Too far

[size=2]I am sorry for the people who may be affected by this.

The river I sail in has been the victim of generational abuse by the pig farmers in the state. In the last 5 years there has been a 'token' (IMHO) effort to reign in the whole sale dumping of tons of pig effluent into the river......

Of course, much like the coal fired power plants that pollute our skys while the 'little guy' pays the bill with increased automotive emissions testing.......

The government usually finds less resistance in picking on the small guy, even if it does not make much sense to do so.

was just wondering if anyone installed a holding tank for the sink.
    Yes, it is on my list right below installing the catalytic converter on my outboard engine.....

[/soapbox]

[/size]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

grey water

now in france in some sailing place we need to have tank for toilet (wc) warter. did someone had put this sort of tank. i think i had 2 possibilites
    -1) to put a tank in the chain at front of the boat upper line of flotaison
    -2) at the bottom of the hold behind the lead balast and use the hull to make a tank after puting gelcoat under the glass fibers.
    in the two case i don't now were put the output off flexible ventilation ducts (now my boat had an outboad engine 8 hp four stroke ) .
    did somebody make this kind of to modify ?
    thank you.
    sorry i don't write and i don't now sailing vocabulary of US

Talking Welcome!

[size=2]grindel,

Welcome! Do I understand that you have an Ariel in France?

As for the waste holding tank, I have a small 'bladder' like a bag that fits into the area next to the head (toilet). Since it is a bag, it fits into the shape of that space well.

It is attached to a hose leading to a valve, that allows me to either pump the waste into the holding tank (bladder/bag) or over the side.

I know there is one person here (liz?) who converted the water tank under the v-berth to a waste holding tank. I would not do that, as I prefer to carry drinking water to carrying waste!

[/size]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

yes I leave in france (meditéranne sea) my grand father buy this ariel # 70. a 'bladder' like a bag in the well of chains was an very intresting solution there is a lot of place in it its need to make a case to put the bag easier to make a tank.
    tank you.

+ Reply to Thread