Thread: Cave Paintings - The evolutionary History of Ariel #330

Threaded View

Cave Paintings - The evolutionary History of Ariel #330

I have uncovered conclusive proof that the Ariel is a direct descendant of Viking vessels utilized by Eric The Red to colonize Vineland AKA the east coast of North America, and further that Hull Number #330 is descended from Hull # 331, which would tend to support my long term assertion that time is actually moving backwards. (Otherwise why would we all be rebuilding 60s vintage Ariels and Commanders in 2004?). The photo below was discovered in an excavation that I originally initiated to explore the cavern of Ariel Hull #330 for bulkhead damage as part of a mast-related accident repair project to the mast, hull, and main bulkhead of my boat.

If there is interest, I will post the progress of the repair on this thread.

I removed the doorframe in the main bulkhead today and then lifted the Formica piece above the door. I discovered this very interesting drawing, which must have been made by a Pearson Employee in 1965 when my boat, Hull #330 was built. Oddly, if I can decipher the hieroglyphics, the number above the drawing is #331. The drawing proves that Viking naval architects heavily influence the design of the Ariel. Note that the vessel portrayed is a double ender with two masts. I cannot determine whether the drawing depicts a yawl, ketch, or schooner, because the rudder is not shown and the tops of both masts are truncated. There is some disagreement among local archeologists here as to whether the horizontal lines on the hull of the vessel areintended to represent ocean waves, or whether they represent an outrigger. I thought that you all might find the drawing interesting. It would interest me to know if this sort of cave painting is typical of Ariels, or if my boat is unique.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 08-19-2004 at 11:41 PM.
    Scott