+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Theis Health Note

Theis Health Note

On the5th of December, Peter Theis (A-82 SOLSKEN) had a massive stroke. The good news is that he survived, but was paralyzed on the left side. Peter can talk, but being left handed, he can't write.

Last Friday he “escaped hospital incarceration and returned to what is left of home.” Peter is now in rehab and can walk with the help of a cane. Peter writes that, “Although I have not written off sailing, at this point, it still looks like a stretch. But, at least the aspiration remains. In spite of the temporary setback, my hope remains that I can return to a normal existence.”

We wish him a speedy recovery . . .

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Hey Theis! You're our resident expert around here.

I know you must be working hard. Good thoughts coming your way.

Here's a pic.

The rest of you guys should search around here and read some of Peter's stories, like this one

http://www.conservit.com/northchannel.htm
    Attached Images  

To Pete Theis

Best of luck to you. Remember, Sir Frances Chichester went and sailed around the world after having been diagnosed with cancer. He credited the lengthy remission of the cancer to his trip !! Go for a sail with someone around you !!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Peter!

Live in: Ocqueoc, Mi Home Port: Drummond Island, MI

Smile Get Better Soon

Peter,

I hope you get better soon. I haven't been around here much lately as my life has been very busy with our move. If you need a sailing partner, I'm available. I'd love to go sailing with you again. We now live only 3 miles from Lake Huron and a refuge marina is there for our boats. I hope to bring the commander there this summer.

Take Care!

Liz
    Liz Fagel
    s/v Fagel Attraction II
    Pearson Commander #75

Holey cats! What's been going on around here? A guy steps out a couple of months to catch a few 'z's and the whole pace goes to heck!

Seriously though, I hope you are doing well, Peter. I think we all got the impression around here that you kept challenging your mind and that should help a great deal with your recovery.

Your stories about cruising the Great Lakes and your input on subjects has inspired me and pushed me through more than one road block.

Good grief!
    Peter, best wishes and prayers to you also. Others have come back from worse and sailed again. Hang in there!
    To error is human
    To Sail is divine... Book of French

Any word on how Peter is doing?
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Post Peter Replies

We gave Peter a hail and asked about his progress. Here is Peter's reply:

Thanks for asking. I came perilously close to buying the farm last winter (10% chance of survival) so considering the alternative, I am doing damn well. I am in generally good health and in rehab three days a week. My left arm now works nominally and there is motion in the fingers. My left hand is my writing hand. I can walk now with a cane and have walked in rehab without a cane. It is a sobering knowing that any fall may be my departing shot from this world. I can still look at an attractive lady and smile, although I may not remember why and she may more laugh than smile.

I have not been on a boat this summer and won't do so until I can do so safely- including swimming at least with a pfd. Without my left arm I can' t safely climb a ladder or hoist a sail. I can't yet get down on my knees and then get up upon my own. But it is coming along - discouragingly slowly. Plans are to launch Solsken next spring with the help of sailing friends. Keep your fingers crossed.

My biggest hurdle as to getting on a boat is that the Lake water level is low which means the angle of the ramp to reach the boat slips may be too steep for me to go down the ramp and possibly the return passage may be an even bigger hurdle. Perhaps this fall I may travel to Annapolis and use the tide to bring the boat to my level.

Solsken looks very lonely in the yard. She apparently misses the action and like any mistress, requires at least occasional loving care and attention.

Your five fingered typist friend

Repair of a lefty

All the best to Peter.
    The body can do amazing feats of refurbishment.
    Solsken, whom Peter has done so much for
    will return the favor.
    Miss their input here on the Forum!

Get well soon sailor. You will sail again. I myself still have health problems that aren't quite over yet and I have enjoyed reading your contributions to this forum very much as I have many others. I haven't met any of the members here but feel that I know some of you all. Get well, do what the doctors tell you.

Theis,
    Good to see you're back on the board. I hope you are well and back on your boat.

Peter Replies

Peter replied, but to the moderator. Here is his message:

I'm desperately trying to get back but am not there yet. At least I
    am still breathing which is generally accepted as better than the
    alternative. It is good hearing from you. I walk again with the
    help of a cane. I have some motion in the left arm and some use of
    my fingers. This past weekend I walked a mile through a park in only
    two hours. The last time I tried it took four hours.As for news,I
    have the gang assembled to launch Solsken in mid June. I won't be
    able to sail alone, but hopefully will at least be able to spend a
    warm summer evening on the Pond with friends sipping a cool one while
    watching the world go by.The test for me will be whether I can cross
    the lifelines, and climb over the cockpit coaming. And then can I
    get down to the cockpit to sit on the bench Of course, I have to
    succeed with the return as well.My wife, Madam NO, is convinced this
    exercise will be a fatal so I need to be careful, I guess

Attached is a picture of me with friends and Solsken in South
    Milwaukee cooking out during my better days (fall,2006)

Thanks again for writing.

Peter Theis

God speed Mr. Theis! Lots of good thoughts coming your way. I'm sure it's been a lot of hard work to get back to where you are at this point - now it's time for the pay-off. We'll be looking for another sailing yarn on the board.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Thumbs up

Peter, Rose and my prayers will be with you for your recovery. I am confident you will be able to get aboard, enjoy your sail! Craig

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread