+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garhauer lifting davit

Garhauer lifting davit

I have the information about the davit that is in the Ariel manual, but I remember seeing an internet article about an installation and I can't find it in my files. I remember a photo of a honda lying crosswise in the laz. Does anyone know how I can re-access this article. Or does anyone who has already done this installation have info that can add to what is printed in the manual. (I think it was Gene Roberts who did that particular installation...but I don't have the book in front of me so I could be wrong. ) I remember that he had to add a longer section to the davit in order to get his outboard's lower unit clear of the deck.

I have a Merc 9.9 long shaft engine. Haabet is Ariel hull #133.

Thanks!

William Alberts
    Last edited by walberts; 08-06-2003 at 07:16 AM.

Walberts,

The Internet article you are referring to is probably my Ariel web page:

http://www.solopublications.com/sailarie.htm

The "Augustine" photo page linked to that page

http://www.solopublications.com/sailarip.htm

shows the Garhauer lifting davit in action. I am now using a Nissan 6 hp OB, as my Honda 7.5 OB died. The davit is even easier to use with the lighter weight Nissan.

I followed Gene Robert's instructions as presented into the Ariel Owner's Manual, and that worked fine. Myron Spaulding, who engineered the installation, knew his stuff. Two cautionary notes though:

1. The cockpit floor on the Ariel is not plywood, but strips of wood that could be oak or fir. I am not sure which. Anyway, the effect beneath the floor is an irregular surface: sort of like a corrugated roof, so plan your holes carefully before you drill the holes for the base of the davit in the cockpit floor. Get down in the locker, take a look and make some measurements. My guess is that there is probably some variation I the floors from Ariel to Ariel, and that Gene's measurements were based upon his specific Ariel.

2. You do need order the longer stainless steel base as Gene's article tells you to do if you want to mount the davit in the cockpit.

By the way, Garhauer will sell you an extra base for a reasonable price amd support ring if there is another location where you might also want to use your davit. Also the cockpit mounted davit base and ring make a great support for a cockpit table. I made one from a $4.00 hardwood tray from Ross Dress for Less, few pieces of ABS pipe, and a couple of fasteners. The table is also pictured on the above referenced page. Also my main sheet bag hooks nicely to the support ring for the davit, which is located at the aft end of the cockpit just were a main sheet bag should be located.

Last edited by Scott Galloway; 08-07-2003 at 01:18 AM.
    Scott

And finally, if you are looking for a bag to use to store your new Garhauer Lifting Davit. Go to an outdoor store, and buy a bow bag (as in bow and arrow). The soft padded bow bags are perfectly sized for the davit, and have two handles that permit you to secure them with a simple single cup hook screwed into the back side of the teak piece that fronts the shelf in the V berth. It stays secure at all angles of heel. The davit is out of the way there in the bow in its bow bag, and mine is kind of cool looking to boot.
    Attached Images  
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread