+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 23' Cape Cod Marlin - long lost Commander Cousin

23' Cape Cod Marlin - long lost Commander Cousin

Here a neat little boat. Looks much like the Commander... I do not have any more info on it.
    I like the bow sprit. Hmmm.
    Attached Images    

The Cape Cod Marlin is a Nathaniel Herreshoff design. Captain Nat and Commander Alberg may have been distant cousins because Herreshoff dna is clearly present in the Commander, the Ariel and other Alberg designs. According the the builder, Cape Code Shipbuilding, "The Marlin is a wonderful midsize keep sloop when you want the accommodations of cabin space without a full cruising boat. The Marlin is offered in a day sailing version with plenty of cockpit space and a smaller cabin and a cruising version with more cabin space and a self bailing cockpit. Being enlarged from the H-12 1/2 design, both versions deliver performance you expect from a Captain Nat design." Cape Cod Shipbuilding will build you one of these wholesome craft for (better sit down for this) a mere $80 thousand bucks.
    MRH

C.C. Marlin cruiser

Pecking around found a pic of what I think is an illusive CRUISER verion for sale.
    The coach roof is led straight back without a 'doghouse' bump up.

Not all CCMarlins have bowsprits
    Sailnet Forums "Herreshorff Marlin 23 in plastic" has a brief discussion about weather helm these boats supposedly experience. Read >Brodie78< post on how he sails his.
    He has a 1965 day sailer without the sprit.
    This apropos similar experiences with our Commander/Ariel.

Also came across one on Craigslist with a spar sprit.
    The one here looks rather sparse compared to a round pole.
    Wonder if these were added by owners?
    Last edited by ebb; 10-18-2010 at 10:54 AM.

This Cape Cod Marlin "Starry Night" was featured in Good Old Boat magazine not too long ago, and is currently on the market for $6,500.00. She was built in 1965, hull # 78.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

It may have been "Sail" magazine, can't exactly recall.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

If one was so inclined, Cape Cod Ship Building will build you a new one for the small sum of $80,000.00!!
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    If one was so inclined, Cape Cod Ship Building will build you a new one for the small sum of $80,000.00!!
    Isn't it completely riduculous a Commander or Ariel goes for little? Of course I say that after purchasing one.

C. C. S. B. also builds the Bill Tripp, Jr. designed Mercer 44. A few years back a Mercer 44 (hull #1 Aurora Rosina) was going cheap. I begged, whined, sold my soul and finally got the go ahead to purchase her the following week. A friend and I were heading out for a few drinks that weekend and I had to show him the boat I was going to buy. I pulled up the add on the web and big red letters lead the posting S O L D Needless to say I didn't feel much like partying that night.... Oh well, no regrets here.
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread