+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lightening strike totals...

Unhappy Lightening strike totals...

Alas, hit by lightening at the mooring (unpersoned) resulting in Commander #49 has been totaled by the Ins. Co. The repair is $3OOO+ more than insurance on the boat, and that just covers estimates on hull repair. My first keel boat (6+ year owner) and know I would need to put another $3000 in it over the next several years, all to sail on a river for the 4 month season. It is hard to think about letting go...but reality suggests putting $16,000 into this situation is crazy.
    Assume I will be posting ads to sell the new mainsail and cover if I can't find another Commander or Ariel. I have not been in a position like this. Any helpful experiences?
    You can post here or email directly at Pbrowkblak@aol.com.
    Thanks

If I understand your post , you are getting a $13,000 payoff for a Commander ? You can get 2 for that amount maybe 3 if you shop carefully .

PBrown-sorry to hear about your misfortune. At least no one was onboard or injured. Lightning strikes is one thing I wonder about from time to time. There seems to be two schools of thought predominating the matter: don't worry about it and protect your #@*. Did you take any protective measures for grounding or channeling on 49? Any insights?

Mike-It took me a little over a year to track down an Alberg design for sale in this part of the country and I wasn't picky, A22,CDory,Ariel,A30...And this is supposed to be the land of 10,000 lakes. I consider myself lucky to have found one(so lucky I just bought an Ensign)

That's why they make trailers .
    But I bet you can find ice boats behind every tree.

Northern Mn ? I thought all of MN was northern .

Lightning Damage

PBrown: can you tell us what the extent of damage was to your Commander? What did the strike do to your hull?

Did you have lightning protection rigged?
    Last edited by ebb; 09-16-2002 at 07:25 AM.

Detailsof the damage would be interesting and if you did have a lightening protection system, a description of that would be helpful also.

You just can't start a story like that and leave out these important details. Inquiring minds want to know....

And my heart goes out to you and the boat....

You can't just leave a story hanging like this. What happened? Did you have an effective ground system? Was it at the dock? At anchor? Please fill in the lines.

+ Reply to Thread