+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ariel 198

FS: Ariel #198 in Grand rapids MI

Craig's list add; http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/787583875.html

Pearson Ariel Sailboat - $2900 (Byron Center)

Reply to: sale-787583875@craigslist.org
    Date: 2008-08-07, 8:26PM EDT

Pearson Ariel Hull # 198

- Interior redone
    - All below water hoses and lines new
    - Top repainted
    - On car hauler for trailer (included with boat)
    - Only needs bottom paint to sail

Want sold, please make offer!
    Attached Images    

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Sorry, that one's no longer for sale. Picked it up last monday, Didn't pay nearly that much for her either. Got tired of her sitting there in the feild.

Trailer is a nice low-riding flatbed with a pair of 5000lb axles, cradle is wood

Was looking at a bristol 24 in New York at $1000, but figured the Ariel was a lot closer and after looking it over, and determing what it would take to get the bristol home offered him $2000 if he delivered it to my house.

Not bad shape, very good sails, but previous owner was not that good at bedding the hardware, used silicone, and mixed screws (phillips/flathead, and sanded the coamings while they were installed and sanded the chrome off the screw heads!!! ^%&**$# )

Two small soft spots on the deck near the windows,(less than a foot around) sat there for 6 years and the bilge is bone dry, and full of cobwebs. Ther are a few small 'drip' marks inside, but nothing to be concerned with, largest is maybe 4" around, and I can't realy tell if it's from leaks or condensation.

Ad was truthfull in that bottom paint is all that's really needed to splash her, but there's a LOT of cosmetic work needed, and I realy want to address the soft spots.
    (Can anyone tell me how thick the balsa is on deck under the windows?, Havent been able to find info and don't want to start cutting/drilling untill I have the materials to fix it)

Very nice boat with a lot of potential, and no regrets so far, other than the infestation of wasps and tree frogs.

Ken.

Thumbs up Congrats!

Congrats Ken!

Hope they did not get too carried away on the silicone...

The work will be worth the effort, glad she went to a good home.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Took a few pics this evening, pretty much just because I had the camera. (use it to check hard to see areas) Two serious issues, one trouble spot, the two soft spots, and four 'what the heck are they for' plates pretty much make up the repairs she needs:

http://picasaweb.google.com/merc2dogs/Ariel#

No exterior shots, too dark when I decided to snap the pics.

Ken.

Ole 198

Keep the photos coming, Kendall!
    Glad you listened to the Ariel when she was talking to you.
    Maybe Bill's resource here will help with the anomalies you find.

I just looked up the Bristol 24 you passed up. And I have a picture in the archives, Wind Song(?), with a square hole in her transom for tilting up the OB in the well, I thought. There isn't much info out there on what looks like another nice pocket cruiser similar to the Ariel.. Said to be originally made by Sailrite when Clint Pearson bought the business he renamed Bristol.

Interesting, I can't find a designer's name associated with the boat, and there certainly is no site like what we have here in the Ariel Association connected with the 24. (Halsey Herreschoff would put a hole in a transom but I don't think Alberg would.) They were built into the 80's I think, much longer than the A/Cs. One signature feature is the large lid over the OB well like the Ariel's - but the two interior layouts are different from Alberg's usual.

Have lots of fun.
    Last edited by ebb; 09-22-2008 at 08:23 AM.

Hey Kendall,
    Congratulations! Welcome to the family! Where are you going to sail her? Lucky Dawg needs company at Torresen's in Muskegon next spring. Cheap and less than a mile from Lake Michigan. I love the versatility of Muskegon Lake when the waves are too big on the Big Lake.
    Sounds like you know what you're doing. Will look forward to the play-by-play.

Thanks for the welcome!
    That's exactly where I plan to keep her. Not too far from home and like you say, muskegon lake is good to sail on when the big lake doesn't want to play nice. Debating on a mooring or slip though.
    Are you still in the water? Plan on bringing the main in to bluffton bay this week for inspection, and see if they can put a couple reefs in, feels good and looks plenty good, but ya never know. Would like to swing by and take a peak at Lucky Dawg.

went out and poked at the one through hull patch, and punched a screwdriver right through it with very little effort, (one good open handed smack on the handle) 100% bondo, once you get past the outside layer it's pink. Scares me that someone sold her as 'ready to sail' with nothing but bondo filling those holes. Don't get me wrong, I'm very willing to take chances for -ME- but I wouldn't think of putting someone else at risk.

Ken.

I'm in a slip. Both for easy family boarding and for electrical hook-up. Jim / Bluffton did my main's repair and made the suggestion to make it loose footed (below). We're still in. Held out till the first week of November last year. Peek away. (Enter Torresen, head down the right side of the main slip-bay and we're halfway down. Look for the A/C and UGA burgees flappin!) Better yet, Sadie (my daughter) and I sail most good-sailing-weather Monday's and you are most welcome to join us.

Good fate for #198! - passed on to an owner who'd never bondo her.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 09-22-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Haven't had a chance to make it out that way yet!
    Got wrapped up doing things around the house and haven't even had a chance to do much more than clean the boat up.

Did get around to making new end blocks for the coamings, turned out pretty well I'd say. Since I didn't have any materal large enough I had to glue them up, every place that had material large enough wanted to sell 5ft lengths or longer.
    Put some pics up here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/merc2dog...CoamingBlocks#

Thought of just making a 'flat' return to the cabin sides, but never realy cared for the looks of that.

Figured out how to make the curved front very easily, and they're almost an exact duplicate of the originals.

May not be in the water, and still needs paint, but the brightwork is nearly done!

Ken.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Hey that's some nice work!

I haven't had time to work on 198 for a while because of marital strife and several move out/back in episodes that I'm getting kind of tired of. Putting it here in hopes someone is interested.

Clean title and registered till 2014. She does need work, I removed the icebox and counter so interior is pretty bare, just benches and temporary counter installed and has several soft spots on deck.
    Good sails and rig.
    The trailer she sits on is a 20ft flatbed with two 3500lb axles, electric brakes on front axle. Tires hold air but are old. It takes regular 6 bolt wheels (6 bolt chevy pattern I believe) $1200 gets trailer too.
    If you're local and don't want the trailer, we can discuss a price without it, simply pay the $1200, bring the trailer back within a week, and I'll give you back the difference.
    She has been up for sale several times for $1200 complete with the trailer she sits on. I've had a few people call and ask but the only serious offer I had was $600 if I keep trailer and rig, and allow them to cut her up on site, I prefer not to go with that one.
    Edited to hopefully correct the format, spelling errors and trailer length.
    Last edited by kendall; 10-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Hi Kendall, do you have a truck that can move the boat? If so, contact me off list: averyboyer168 AT gmail dot com.

Hope you told the would-be scrapper exactly what you thought of that idea!!!
    Last edited by Bill; 09-24-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Sorry, but the only vehicle I have is an old explorer sport that hasn't been driven in about a year. Don't think it would tow the Ariel any distance

Kendal, Hi, Could you send me some recent pictures of the boat and trailer. When you say 26 ft trailer is that the bed or the entire length? I'm seriously interested. Thanks Carl

At present I can't seem to locate my camera, but will try to borrow one and get more recent pics. basically, haven't done much since the first pics were posted other than remove the counter and icebox, and correctly fill the original through hulls for the head.

I messed up on the trailer length somehow, it's 20 foot overall, not 26, no idea where the 26 came in. (edited that post) The hitch is just ahead of the bow, and the trailer extends to just aft of the rudder with the stern extending roughly 4 feet beyond.
    The deck boards on the trailer are old and could use replacement, but the cradle is wide enough that if the boards weren't there it would sit on the frame rails.
    My plan was to weld jack stands to the trailer corners, remove the old cradle and trailer deck, then weld two more stands in the center for use as a dedicated boat trailer.

Edited because I had noscript running, and it always puts all the text into one big hard to read lump.
    Last edited by kendall; 10-04-2012 at 02:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread