+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Documentation or an owner's manual

Documentation or an owner's manual

A friend of mine and I just adopted a distressed Ariel and we are very near being able to put in the water but there are still a lot of questions that I have . Does anybody know of an owner's manual on digital media that they could direct me to?

The other immediate issue I have is where to find a main sail. Is there someplace to find a used one cheaper to start with?

Thank you all for your help.

our moderator has a good book that includes the factory drawings. That's money well spent.

as for sails... i've had good luck at the online lofts such as bacon sails:
    http://www.baconsails.com/. you will need some dimensions:

look for mains with a luff (P) less than or equal to 27' and a foot less than the (E) of 11.5'. here is a sample from their site:

Catalog No 670-BSZZ-676 Luff 26' 2" Foot 10' 4" Leech 27' 8" Head 0' 0" Price $ 995.00
    MAIN, 8.5 OZ. TRIPLE STITCHED DACRON. 1" STAINLESS, EXTERNAL SLIDES WEBBED TO GROMMETS ON COVERED ROPE LUFF AND FOOT. LEACH LINE. ROW OF REEFS UP 4' 9". PEEL OFF DRAFT STRIPE. TAKES 4 STANDARD BATTENS, INCLUDED. ANOTHER BRAND NEW SAIL FROM OUR LOFT, NEVER HOISTED. WHITE BAG W/YELLOW STRIPE. NEW/UNUSED

a little short in the hoist and on the foot. but it will work.

you may also want to look at new sails from some on-line lofts..

have fun,
    bill@ariel231

Link to the Manual's content's description and order form:

http://pearsonariel.org/manintro.htm

This manual will be a great asset in your resto efforts. The same is true for this site (read-up and do searches on specific topics - Lots of info in here!!)

Once you sail your Ariel I think you'll be eager to get it ship-shape!

Good luck!

Thanks for the direction, I am mailing the order form today.

With the plate cleaned off I am officially hull #128 by the way, and nearly free of mildew in the cabin thanks to a sander and a wet/dry vac!

They do get better!
    This is my Commander's interior cabin after a liberal coat of Gel-coat...
    Attached Images  

Wow! Beautiful! Rico, it's looking like you really need to post a bunch of pics and before and afters and howto's and whatnot in your gallery pages. Mephisto Cat is really looking good!

For instance, inquiring minds want to know - did you "gel-coat" your interior? And that must be the spiffy new companionway trim you'd like to protect with some sort of cover?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

That looks like something out of a sci FI movie. I can't even imagine ours getting that far. What kind of paint do you use on the interior after the gel coat? THat absolutely glows. So far we've gone for the more 'earthy' tones like black and brown and green with contrasting water damage lines to give it that rustic-nautical look. I only hope I get that far.

RICO
    Agree with the wonderment expressed here!!!
    Gel coating is considered a very difficult coating to put on. In the LPU camp.
    And seldom seen on ply panels or used as, let's say, a paint on anything but pure fiberglass.

Inside the results must be like porcelain.... I'd have to see it to believe it!
    Magnificent!

Garneyflanch,

It gets there eventually. Like eating an elephant...just one bite at a time.

Rico,

Lust and Jealousy! Good on ya!

+ Reply to Thread