+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Used Ariel Mainsail

Need Used Ariel Mainsail

Got out first day this season fresh from the boatyard and under sail single handed in some strange springtime weather on the Raritan Bay in NJ. While sailing under a few dark clouds I hit some gusts likely in excess of 30 knots with full sail and shreded my mainssail from the flogging. Anyone have a used Ariel main in decent shape or know where I can possibly find one on the web before I head to my local sailmaker?

-Brian (Ariel #37)

The sail warehouse has decent prices, I know nothing of quality or customer service. Air force sails has a nice online quote feature, but seem a little pricey. Is you want to sew it your self, sail rite has kits for a little over 500 bucks.
    #97 "Absum!"

Post Search Function

Search using the term "used sails" (including quote marks) to find more resources.

Where are you loacted?

I have my old main, if you did not want to buy it I could lend it till you got a new one.
    I recommend Paul, at Omar Sails (if you are East Coast) he makes great stuff,

http://www.omarsail.com/

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Here's who I go with, regardless of my geographic location.... being Ft. Lauderdale, there's an abundant supply of "used" sails that are in incredible condition. And they're also just good folks anyway.

Second Wind Sails

Adam

Exclamation consider this

if you plan on someday venturing out into the realm of the unknown---get used sails from a larger boat and have them cut down.you may have to have some work done for the mainsail track but in the long run it will be worth it.the materiel and stitching for larger boats are usually heavier duty.to avoid that from happening again learn how to reef the mainsail.30 kt wind are way too much for a full main.I had just one deep set of reef points----and it was reefable from the windward or leeward side.be fore warned----if you carry too much sail area the mast can and will fail catastrophically.picture a semi dismasted hull rolling side to side going broadside to any sea condition.the dismasted section will be thrashing to-and fro---smashing against the hull----like a pencil jabbing into a balloon.now ya got catastrophic hull failure.an' dont ferget-----ya gotta deal with seamonsters like godzilla too.
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 06-22-2006 at 07:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread