+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chafing Gear

Chafing Gear

Protecting line going thru chocks to moorings, anchors and marina tie-ups is one of those perennial exercises. There never seems to be a sure way to protect line in all conditions.

Visited the cruiser forum
    http://www.cruiserforum.com/forums/f...gear-3768.html
    this AM and ran into something new or something I probably have missed.
    (sorry, address doesn't compute)

Some of the guys there think that a good solution to mitigate chafe from cleat to chock (especially on the foredeck) is to custom a super strong, super chafe protected connecting piece that you shackle your anchor warp to immediately outboard the chock. You can still rig a snubber if desired, etc.
    That's what I think they are proposing.

Seizing leather to the anchor rode where it goes over the chock is as good as it gets with the traditional method. But can get moved - attached to the line - and at the worst time your line has stretched and is sawing and melting on bare metal.

If you made up an eye for the mooring cleat or bit and have it go to the rail chock and super protect it with hose and leather, whatever, and you have a hard eye there to shackle the anchor line to - there would be no chafe to the warp itself. And the chafing wraps at the chock would not move - certainly not as much - being attached with the short piece on deck. In the worst case scenario there probably would be less heat build up in the oversized line, and less heat build up by friction over the chock.(?)

Seems to me that these thru chock connectors could be semi- permanently rigged. If there were someway to protect them from UV and the environment.*
    Always wondered why sailboats have such inappropriate chocks designed into them. Even thru the great bronze age of yachts rope leads had unforgiving edges!
    Designing chocks that are easy on cordage is the challenge. Designing chafing gear that might be attached to the chock rather than the line is also worthy of thought. Until then the Cruiser Forum's rope chafe gear may be a good solution.

What would you call this connecting piece?
    Safety tail
    Chafing guy
    Mooring dog
    C. F. R. C. G.

Anybody think something like this is a good idea?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    *Galvanized plowsteel 6X7 wire rope used to be available. Basic eye splicing is a salty art. Parceling, serving and leathering are fun to do. And anti-chafe tails done that way would last forever - without the worry of any plastic rope.
    Last edited by ebb; 10-17-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Here's that link

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gear-3768.html

I've got two types of chafe gear--the split hose type and the fabric type that wraps around with a velcro strip (something like the pictures below)

The split hose type is actually pretty difficult to get over the line, and wants to move more than the other one.

I secure them with duct tape, which isn't great, and wouldn't be good for an anchor line which may need to be adjusted.

Securing the chafe guards to the boat with a tail line may be a good idea, since the guards only seem to want to move one way--away from the boat.
    Attached Images    

Commanderpete,

I sorta do your hoses, but I've used vinyl slipped from the bitter end of the mooring line to the intended position near the loop, drill a small hole in the hose at each end (before slipping it on!), then secure the hose to to mooring line with a plastic tie which goes around the line and though the hole in the hose. Trim off the excess tie length. Maybe better than duct tape? Won't work for anchor line, but fine for dock lines. This survived hurricane IKE just fine. No wear on any of the line that secured Charisma. I replace the hose at about year 4, as they start to turn a very unshippy yellow.
    Last edited by Hull376; 11-07-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Kent

chuck those chocks

Thanks C'pete! for getting that window open.
    Chaffing gear has to be devised to protect line against badly designed chocks.

The cruiser gear thing above is rather much, but as an idea really unique imco. And a cruiser might find the time and logic to make up storm gear like that. Some think we are into a decade cycle of severe storms. 'Traditional' anti-chafe might need rethinking.

Did run across once a chaffing gear for the chaffing gear approach (maybe Dashew?) where the tubes were doubled - or even tripled - with used firehose on the outer layer. Experts talk about heat build up in this chafe protected area when the boat is active during a blow. Keeping line from sawing in the chock imco is the best approach.

Believe the A/Cs have better motion generally due to their underbody and weight. Better than finkeelers and those with a lot of windage.

I've waxed purple in this forum on the criminal inadequacy of hard edged chocks - especially skene chocks which should be outlawed. More rounded chocks are in the market but tend to be overpriced. Changing out chocks might be something to consider when upgrading - to protect your chaffing gear.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-09-2008 at 09:42 AM.

I've used a few strips of surplus leather pieces... I got about 20 strips for about $15. Fortunately - and purely by chance - they happen to fit perfectly - just a bit of overlap. I did not need to trim them further...

I punched the holes in and tied them up on all my dock lines. They've been on for about a year & a half and are holding up great. They do not seem to mind the salt water either which was an initial worry.

The picture shows me at a small (20') slip with very low docks and poorly positioned cleats. My current dock floats much higher with cleats that are better spaced.

My neigbors really like them as they have a salty look to them...
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread