+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mainsheet line

mainsheet line

My order for the Manual is in the mail, but in the mean time I have a question regarding mainsheet line.

I acquired Commander 256 with most of the lines and hardware but the fiddle block for the mainsheet was missing. The old English-made Tuffblock double block at the end of the boom seemed appropriate for 1/2" line, and the mainsheet itself appeared to be about 1/2", so I bought new Schaefer blocks -- a double for the boom and a fiddle -- both for max line size 1/2". Back on the boat, I ran the line through the two blocks. The double works fine, but the the line seems to rub too much when it is backing out (i.e. the opposite direction the line travels sheeting in) through the bail over the cam cleat on the fiddle block -- not much, but some, and I'd think the line ought to pass freely.

Perhaps my mainsheet is 9/16" after all.

What are people using for line for the mainsheet? What's the manual say? Anyone have pictures of their mainsheet set-up (I've seen couple on this board)?

Thanks,

David Spaulding
    Ceili, Commander 256
    Windham, Maine

Click on the search button at the top of the page and enter "traveler" in the search window. You should come up with a bunch of posts.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I have 1/2" line for my mainsheet. Its too thick. It doesn't run smoothly enough when letting it out. I often have to push the boom out by hand when running downwind. Sometimes its also difficult to pull the line out of the cam cleat under load.

1/2" is overkill, although thicker line feels better in the hand, easier to pull.

I'm going to change it out to 3/8" line. You don't need very hi-tech line for the mainsheet, since a little stretch is not a problem, like it would be for a halyard.

One type of line you might want to try is "fuzzy braid" like New England Rope's Regatta Braid or Samson Trophy Braid. This has a softer feel than Sta-Set type lines. You can buy this at Sailnet or Defender for about $.53 a foot for 3/8" line.

I've heard of other sources for cheap line, "knothead rope works" via their e-bay store, "the rope dope" (Frank Lasky), or Binnacle.com. Prices are even less, but I'm not familiar with the brands they sell.

PETE

Interesting. The need to push out the boom going down wind seems to me to be a light air problem. We have a 3/8 or 7/16 inch mainsheet and it works smoothly downwind in SF Bay summer conditions -- 15 to 25 or more knots When we're in the protected waters of the Estuary, however, it is often necessary to help the boom out because the wind won't do it.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Yeah, the boom will always need help in light air, and will never need help in heavy winds. Its the in-between where I think a lighter line might be beneficial.

The original equiptment list in the Manual calls for 60 feet of 3/8" line.

Most of the mainsheet ends up on the cockpit sole, getting stepped on and grubby, eventually tangled around the tiller head fitting. I'm trying to figure out a solution to that which doesn't require good housekeeping.

Maybe some 1/4" or 3/16" high tech line is the answer? Excel, Vectran, Spectra -- something like that. Very strong and very light.

Hey Pete,

I got a couple of ideas for you and your mess in the cockpit. The first is just a line bag. I have sailed on other boats where we would have bags that snapped on and we would stuff the line not being used in them (spin line, second set of sheets, etc.)

A second idea would not clean the mess but it would help reduce the amount. If you put a pendant on the boom and connect your main sheet rigging to it you could cut down on the amount of main sheet you need. If you use a four to one purchase you could eliminate as much as four feet depending on how long the pendant is.

Last how bout finding some old dock rat and just have him/her sit back there and keep things tidy.........ed

3/8ths is just right for the mainsheet. Its plenty strong, (Sta-Set), you could
    probably lift your boat with 3-4 slings of it, and it runs through blocks, smaller, less
    expensive ones, easily. 1/2" has better feel in the hand but is a big pile of clumsy rope
    in anything other than gale conditions. I don't think any more than a 4-1 purchase is
    nessesary. The main is not that big and when it starts to blow, you reef.
    Cheers, B
    Commander#215

+ Reply to Thread