+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Admeasurment/Tonnage

Admeasurment/Tonnage

Has anyone here had his/her Ariel documented? If so, what is the Gross Tonnage listed? I know I can figure it out, but I was hoping someone else had already done so.
    Thanks.

Richard
    "Althea" #387
    "Althea"
    Ariel #387

Thumbs up

Just so happens I got my Doc renewal in the mail today.

Her documented tonnage is 6 GRT & 6 NRT.

A documented vessel must measure 5 tons net .

If you are going to try for Documentation , hire a Doc Service to do the paper work . All the previous owners must be Id'ed through title abstracts .

Check out;

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

documentation

Mike,
    Maybe it's too early in the morning... but it's a morass.
    Can't even find a document service.
    Can you recommend one?

BoatUS Doucmentation Service

This just came in from BoatUS:

Since federal documentation is required by most lenders to record liens, now is the time to document your recreational boat. BoatU.S. provides this service and handles all the paperwork including contacting former owners, dealer/brokers, and banks. BoatU.S. is now offering a special 30% off discounted cost of $350 ($50 additional for lien recordation) to document your boat. Boats must be at least 27 feet in length and kept in the continental United States and owners must be U.S. citizens. There are additional fees that apply for boats purchased through bankruptcy, estate, trust, and repossessions. Please visit http://www.boatus.com/documentation/ or call 706-869-8241 if you have any questions.

documentation

How safe is it for a small yacht going foreign
    with a recognisable US hailing port?

Is it 'safer' to have state numbers and a name on the transom
    rather than a well known American hailing port like San Francisco or New York?

In a world that seems to be polarizing, what advantages does
    documentation provide in the coastal water and ports of foreign countries?

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    How safe is it for a small yacht going foreign
    with a recognisable US hailing port?

Is it 'safer' to have state numbers and a name on the transom
    rather than a well known American hailing port like San Francisco or New York?

In a world that seems to be polarizing, what advantages does
    documentation provide in the coastal water and ports of foreign countries?
    Maybe you should ask BoatUS?

Documentation

If you f**k with a documented boat you are f**ing with 'W' and buddies ie a federal vessel and all the might of the US of A , a state regestered vessel and well , who's your governor ? They going to send the state police to Belize or Columbia to save your butt?

Supposedly that is/was a major advantage of documentation, but you are a federal vessel for what it's worth or not .

The Bushmils was good tonite !

[size=2]I posed the same question to a bluewater cruising group last week Ebb,

The replies are still coming in but so far the biggest issue seems to be that of proof of ownership. Documentation is the way the United States (federal) gov. says it is yours. If the state federalies take a fancy to your boat and it is not documented then they may be more inclined to use that as an excuse to seize it.

Down side (so far) is that it can be seized by the US gov. without your consent, and your port of call MUST be displayed on your transom so you are the target of choice if in hostile waters.

I will post more as more replies come in.

[/size]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Have a feeling that the poor skipper of a 26...er, 27' boat in the Southern Mediterranean would be considered a pawn rather than a person.

And that everyday (WE WILLNOT GET INTO POLITICS HERE)
    showing US colors and US ports of call becomes more of a provacation than proper protacol.

The list of 'safe' (ie FUN) places to visit on the globe gets shorter.
    Even Zoltan's voyage seems as if it happened in an age of innocence.

Wonder if the letter of maritime law could be satisfied if you reached over the side and slapped on a peel n stick of name and port in flowing farsi?

Sure am very interested in what your cruiser friends are currently thinking. Cruise together in armadas. Arm your boat to the teeth. Stay home watch TV?
    "Land was created to provide a place for boats to vist." Brooks Atkinson
    Last edited by ebb; 06-18-2005 at 08:03 AM.

Solsken #82 is a document vessel at 6 tons net. As I recall, the 6 tons displacement is measured based on the displacement of the Ariel to the deck, not the waterline.

The advantage of documentation is that the boat looks nicer without the numbers and stickers lastering the front of the boat.

I have not had any trouble having the port name on the back (Chicago) when travelling to Canada.I guess, at least for the time being, they are still considered friendly.

For vessels documented before about 1980 the home port is shown, not the hailing port as it is today. Today everyone's home port is Martinsburg, West Virginia.

The bad side of documentation is that the name of the port on the stern in at least 4" letters is pretty large for a transom the size of the Ariel. In Wisconsin, you still have to have the boat state registered. The price is the same as the usual state registration, but there are no state issued numbers. Wisconsin requires that you paste their two state stickers on each side of the transom, which I have refused to do.

The bad side may be that you are required, as I recall, to help other vessels in distress (as if you wouldn't do that anyway). Also, every year you have to goof around with renewals. (not every three years as it is with the state).

The real benefit is that having a documented vessel is an ego trip - it looks nice and raises questions - a ghee whiz gosh golly, whowee.

The reason Solsken was documented in the 60s is to avoid personal property taxes. As I recall a state can not tax federally registered vessels as personal property within the state. We no longer have a personal property tax.

Documentation

MIKE, need your advice!

I've decided to go for documentation using the BoatUS service.
    I understand the tonnage measurement...

What is not clear is the length measure.
    I do plan to have a short bowsprit on 338,

CAN THIS BE USED TO INCREASE THE MEASUREMENT TO THE REQUIRED LENGTH?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ebb; 07-15-2005 at 09:32 AM.

Exclamation

You might get away with it , LOA, LOD and Length Between Perpendiculars .
    Don't call it a Pearson Ariel , to easy to check LOA against others .
    Custom one-off rebuild , etc., etc. .
    If the bowsprit is removable , by hand , hand tools or hitting a buoy hard , then probably no , wont fly .

I'm curious here. We have a couple of boats that are documented vessels. Peter Theis has one of them. Have the USCG requirements changed in the past 10 or 20 years such that Ariels and Commanders can no longer be documented?

Documentation

On the 'Hampton Roads Documentation Service, Inc.'
    they distinctly say that a boat of 25' will probably be able to get documented.

Bowsprit

Just wondered ebb, is that short bowsprit going to be for anchor storage, or is 338 going to become a cutter?

+ Reply to Thread