+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing Micarta Laminate

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Replacing Micarta Laminate

I stripped off the old wood-grain Micarta laminate and replaced it with new white laminate to brighten up the interior.

There was Micarta on the two bulkheads, the sink unit, and two six foot pieces on either side of the cabin sole.

This job proved to be a pain. I had some trouble removing the old laminate, making the templates, cutting the new laminate, even gluing it down. Finally got it done.

The starboard bulkhead gets covered.
    Attached Images  

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    After a little plumbing work, the sink unit gets installed
    Attached Images  

Now for the wood trim
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 05-12-2003 at 07:30 AM.

Still deciding what type of cabin lights to install
    Last edited by commanderpete; 05-12-2003 at 11:04 AM.

The port side bulkhead also got covered with laminate. On that side, there is a swing up table with blue laminate on top. I took an old waterproof RDF chart and glued it over that.
    Attached Images  

I'm happy with the job, now that its done. Should be easy to keep clean. But, painting the old Micarta would have been alot less work.
    Last edited by commanderpete; 05-12-2003 at 11:01 AM.

The Cabinet of Commander Pete

C'Peet,
    These boats they make carpenters of us all! Really tite work there, sailor! Looks wonmderful!

If you get yor research staff to gather info on LEDs you could clue in the clewless here. Warm whites are making the scene. And prices are going down. And who don't want lightbulbs measured in lifetimes?
    Last edited by ebb; 12-16-2005 at 07:37 PM.

Hey Commanderpete, looks good. I'm working on the interior myself, so That stuff is called Micarta. Looks like our old kitchen table material. I tried using a good varnish to bring back the surface,that worked for a time. I plan on replacing or covering it with mahogany. Need some advise for the cabin deck (original teak I guess). It needs a light sanding and filling in a few small spots and some teak oil or varnish? I also have a need to see a photo or two of main sail down haul systems, I am in mind go to a Cunningham system that I saw on a boat near me at the yard. By the way ebb, autoparts stores have a wide variety of LED lights and they are not expensive at all, I have installed some in my cabin and plan on a couple led's (red or amber)for the cockpit and engine lazzerete (damn spelling) space.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 12-17-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Now, that's three questions

The cabin sole is discussed here

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...read.php?t=420

The downhaul is just a 4:1 tackle with cam. I'll get a pic

I'll start a new thread on cabin lights

Don't really have a good "before" picture
    Attached Images  

Great job on the cabin sole, magic marker in the grooves, you think like I do. Thanks for the imfo. I will post some photographs of the interior sometime this spring.The reason I'm asking about the cunningham is that I found two very old small metal fiddle blocks stashed away in a storage space. Looks like my Commander may have had a Cunningham set-up, judging by some other boats in the yard.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 12-19-2005 at 11:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread