+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just the facts mam

Question Just the facts mam

On the facts sheet;

http://www.pearsonariel.org/document/Fact1.htm

A large genny is show , which is it ? By sheeting angle , block placement and posistion of clew it has to be larger than a 155 for #76 as Bill has shown in photos 14 & 15 in the thread ;

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...read.php?t=970

By it being on the sheet , I would assume it is an "official" sail by Alberg himself.

Mike,
    I looked at the line drawing and don’t know what’s up with the genoa lines. I sailed yesterday with a 155% jib and it had a lead about where Bill describes.

As far as the small jib line drawing I think it is based on the cut of the sail. Here in the SF Bay area most of us have a low clew (deck sweeper) class jib and the lead has to go forward for the proper sail set. Sorry I can’t offer any other explanations…….ed

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    That drawing looks similar to the sailplan on pg. 146 of the Manual which shows a 245 sq. ft. #1 Genoa with a 17' foot.

Let's see now...if the fore triangle is 150sq ft and the 'big one' is 245 sq ft, wouldn't that make it a 163(threee repeating)%? Maybe the lines don't accurately portray the facts...mam.

What I do find interesting, on page two of the fact sheets, near the bottom it states you can buy two misstresses for $68! PC sure was different in the sixties!

Uh-well-maybe it's my glasses...

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    That's why they called the Ariel "frisky."

J- measurement & sail area

I get conflicting info from various sources on the J-measurment & sail area and how that translates into a 120, 150,155, et.al.
    One says if the fore triangle is 100 sq.ft. a 150 would be 150 sq.ft.
    Another says if the J is 8' a 150 would have a J of 12'.
    And several variations on the theme such as;
    if the foretriange is 100sq.ft and you use a fractional luff high cut sail that overlaps the mast, if it is still 100sq.ft or less it is still a working jib or a 100%

Our J is 9.5' , a full hoist sail with a J of 19' would have twice the sail area and twice the J exactly if it was a deck sweeper , raise the clew and the J is the same but the area is now less , raise the tack and the clew to clear the rail and keep the J what do you have?

Is this a regional thing? I know PHRF varies somewhat by region, Roger Woodward sails an Olsen 25 that was on SF Bay and his main was smaller than the ChesBay main for that boat , when he got here he had to get a new main and no points added to his PHRF rating .

As I understand it, to maintain the percentage of fore triangle, lowering the clew of the jib to the deck requires that the luff be shortened. I would assume that there is some usable maximum percentage once the luff reaches the mast. Pearson placed the genoa track abeam the cockpit, so maybe a 180 was the expected size of an East Coast genoa.

FYI - The SF Bay PHRF assumes a maximum 155% headsail. SF Bay ODCA class rules limit the headsail to a 110% jib - high or low clew - because the class races in summer gales.

Talking Summer gales!!

Summer gales, you lucky dogs !! A summer gale to us is 15-knots.
    We only get above that during a thunder storm or hurricane in summer and a northeaster in winter. Most folks have at least a 150 as their working sail , a 100 is a storm jib!

Back in the 80's a friend and I decided to go sailing everyday for a year ( new-years to new-years ) we made 360 out of 365 his boat or mine at least 1 hour under sail every trip . We missed those 5 days to hurricanes and northeasters . Of the 360 days we were reefed only 30 times and if we had been on my boat ( at the time a heavy gaff rigged yawl ) it would have been even less. About 60 times our average speed was less than 2 knots .

+ Reply to Thread