+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crack in the Deck - How do I fix my own Stupidity?

Crack in the Deck - How do I fix my own Stupidity?

Okay, it was a dumb thing to do... I had a tarp over the boat draped over the lifeline stanchions and when the tarp filled with snow it levered the stanchion over and cracked the deck. Looks like some water got in before I noticed it. I would be grateful for some tips on how I fix this. I assume I'll be cutting the deck back and digging out old balsa, then doing some glassing. What do you use to recore? I have never understood how you guys make those repairs so seemless, particularly with a nonskid deck.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Jim

Ariel #290

Jim,

A search on deck repair brings up a number of hits. This one is a good starting point, but you may want to use the search function to see if there are more. And for any other questions before posting.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ng-in-the-deck

Bill

Either an extremely sturdy tarp, or you likely already has some issues there...

Almost step-by-step directions on the later part of this thread:
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...st-Discussions

The subject of your repair is different, but the issues with the deck repair & core are the same for both the areas at the top of the Commander's Compression post as the Ariel's Stanchion bases. Applying the same advise will give you the best results in your case.

Epoxy and glass are great materials to work with... You will get the hang of it quickly... as with anything; a little practice goes a long way. Hopefullty this will get you started.

Oh, Jim... I just looked at a few pictures of your Ariel. How 'bout a few pictures of Maine sailing!?

Best of luck with the repairs!
    Last edited by Rico; 07-12-2010 at 03:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread