+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: deck scuppers

deck scuppers

Somewhere along the line one of the previous owners intalled deck scuppers. At least I believe one of the POs did it because I've never seen nor read anything about them on any other Ariels. I like the idea of ridding the decks of trapped water but I loath the big, ugly water stain on the topsides. Placement is questioable too. I have leveled the boat by the boot stripe and when it rains(or worse yet snow melts) water pools aft of the scuppers! If you notice they located them forward enough to go through the cored section of the side decks. Everything seems solid there but locating them aft alittle further would have made more sense to me. When I look at this pic I see three things I'd like to change. We're open to ideas and criticism(gulp)-Tony G.
    Attached Images  

Hold it! That's the wrong picture bvut I can still find three things I'd like to change. Let's try it again.
    Attached Images  

that's the toe biter! Here's the inside(I know you're on the edge of your seat by now).
    Attached Images  

I agree, that is about the ugliest scupper installation I've seen

On higher numbered boats, the factory appears to have moulded in deck scuppers aft of the cabin trunk. The outlet is at the waterline. An earlier owner added scuppers to #76 and used flat faced bronze through hulls at the deck and rounded through hulls at the water line. Hole diameter could have been larger, but is ok.

Also, in the case of #76, the scuppers were placed ahead of the boat's low point where the water collects. I'm sure it was the low point at one time Just another reason to keep the weight down in the after most part of the boat.

#45 has molded in scuppers that are original, and are located fairly well aft, lining up with the mid point of the cockpit locker lids .
    Also I have two deck drains at the transom corners that drain into the outboard well .

Yeah, without a doubt I'm with Bill, I do have the ugliest scupper intallation. I had planned on removing the original through hulls for the head which would include some grinding and laminating and filling and fairing and fairing and fairing. So maybe that would be an opportune time to move those deck scuppers. I really wanted keep it( the work) below the waterline but I guess I'll just have to do better work topsides.

#91 has no deck scuppers.

Here is what looks like a factory install ,
    Attached Images  

And here is the one in the deck corner ,
    Attached Images  

Mike,
    You've lost me on the second pic. Is that your lazerette hatch in the fore. Maybe the starboard corner?

Port corner of stern, stainless plate is new chain plate for split backstay , there is an identical drain in the STBD corner .

Mike, I wonder if that part of the boat's stern was re built (maybe when the split backstay was installed?). Most of the boats have a break in the toe rail at each corner to allow for water egress.

#66 has no such breaks in the toerail aft. The only place for water egress is at the scuppers (about 1/3 of the way along the cockpit, back from the cabin trunk just inside the toerails).

Bill,
    I split the backstay myself last summer , all the glass work in the lazarrette looks original ( except for a spot in the center of the transom where she got rammed ), I have been standing on my head in there several times in the past year .
    The 2 drains above the transom drain into hoses that go to the outboard well .

#91 has breaks in the toe rails at each corner of the stern for drainage.
    Last edited by Janice Collins; 06-30-2002 at 04:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread