+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to protect UN treated wood?

Hybrid View

If time is an issue for the first coat, it will be likewise for future coats. I decided to forget the varnish and use Semco Teak Sealer. It is for teak and not for mahogany. I have teak coaming boards in my cockpit, but I do have some mahogany remaining (around the companionway hatch). I have used Semco Teak sealer on the mahogany also. I use the natural shade. I think that it looks the best. Two coats can be applied in an afternoon. A good scrub and perhaps from time to time a light sanding of any residual sealer will prep the surface for future coats. It will last about six months. I have been doing this every six month since 2001 and the boat looks great. I used to varnish the wood on my last boat, and I used various teak oils on my father’s wood decked boat for year. I like this Semco Teak Sealer stuff better than any other product that I have used. Just avoid the temptation to use the Gold Tone. It’s too orange. The natural tome looks like fresh cut untreated wood for as number of months following a two-coat application. So use the natural shade.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 04-03-2005 at 08:34 PM.
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread