+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deck hardware plan, and

Hybrid View

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I really don't know anything about spinnakers, but I think you first have to figure out where to put the turning blocks or track and maybe even another set of winches.

Those cleats on the deck don't seem too good to me. The line would have to be flat to the deck before they would even work. How could that work with the line coming off the winch?

With a spinnaker, you might even want cam cleats to blow the chute quickly.

There's a little something on the Harken website

http://www.harken.com/rigtips/spinnaker.php
    Last edited by commanderpete; 03-30-2005 at 06:31 AM.

Thanks Commanderpete

Commanderpete,

That diagram actually clears it up for me quite a bit. It appears that the aft pad eyes[size=1] ('G' in the diagram)[/size] are to secure blocks that turn the lead back to the winch which would make sense to have to cleats fwd to receive the lines on the other side (with the lines now leading forward).

I will try to take some pictures later of the set up as I imagine it, to clear this up. I am going out to apply another coat of topcoat now.

Thanks!

Mike,
    What do you belay the anchor warp to?
    Isn't a very strong attachment point on deck that the whole weight of the boat is hanging on to in a hurricane a good thing?
    What do you suggest is best, a 15" cleat?

Thumbs up Bitts

Ebb,
    If I were cruising, I would install a 4x4 hardwood post thru the deck and tie into the forward chain locker bulkhead . That is the way it is done on big boats and ships. The post goes all the way to the keel and sits in a step .
    This post could be stainless or bronze if you have the bucks .
    The top of the post could/would look just like the polished bitt in the first post.
    A little re-inforcing under the deck wouldn't hurt either .

I prefer bitts over cleats , a double bitt is better yet .

Thanks Mike,
    I would too. A warping post. A compleatly trustworthy point of attachment!
    I've looked at it and see that bringing the post down to the stem would pretty well compromise the space, it's not much, but useful open like it is. So my thoughts have also gone to the bolt on 'samson post.' Or larger double cleats on the deck. What ever way the underdeck must be beefed up!

Placing the post, it is natural to have it go thru the deck matching the plywood bulkhead, either to the inside or the outside, guts tell me inside. That's a question? 338's deck is compromised, but c.amos must have some leeway. Where it go? Is the post part of your anchoring system?

On a thru deck post, have taken a good bit of wood off the sides once it has left the blocking under the deck. That is, pointed the post somewhat on 3 sides its whole lower length. (The side that will attach to the bulkhead would stay flat, no short grain.) This might keep the forepeak a little more useful. Is this worth doing?

On the gaff rig I had I also put two in the quarters (with regalvanized open pipe pieces thru the top.) The trouble with posts, in my truncated experience. is that they are only good for looping an eye over. You still need cleats for end tying a line. Right? Tying off on a post created an ungainly and awkward heap of line.

So, for the Ariel foredeck, a full 4X4 would not be too much?
    What wood might you choose? Bungabunga? Don't think teak can take serious chaffing. Has to be dense and hard and no checking.
    I had a whiteoak post once, it developed cracks, never was a way to keep it looking good.

There is the issue of this hunk piercing the deck and how do you caulk it?
    I had collars of 1/2" ply (that always looked like ply no matter what I did) like the chainplates have that only worked around the posts because it increased the surface area of the caulk. I think it could always want to leak, probably still does ifn the boat is alive still, given the shrinking and swelling of wood problem. Any fresh water at the join contributes to rot. What to do, what to do..? Thanks

Mike, was thinking, you'd probably caulk the seam with oakum, correct?
    Last edited by ebb; 03-30-2005 at 12:44 PM.

Arrow

My choice is , ash post set with wedges of cedar bedded in 5200 .
    I like running it all the way down, tie the bitter end to the lower post .
    Put a 1/2" bronze round stock through the post above deck. 2 round turns topped with a clove hitch and that line isn't going anywhere and wont chafe line or post. chamfer the edges of the post of course .
    Under the deck a 12x12x1.5" block bored 5" square to house the post , wedged with 1/2" cedar set in 5200 . I have done about 120 or so like this with no leaks so far . I think a pure bead of 5200 1/2x1" would work as good if the post was well attached to the bulkhead.

Thanks Mike,
    Will be looking for the ash, pronto!

+ Reply to Thread