Thread: Headsails

Threaded View

yes, yes, yes!

Especially the foredeck crew in proper uniform! Think you about covered it Ebb!

My small crew from yesterday, ages 8,9,and 10, informed me we needed a jolly roger. So just ordered one. They insisted on the 3x5 model. Now i have to figure out how to fly the dang thing while they're onboard! Thinking the topping lift might work. This ought to be a sight going down the Columbia!

On a more serious note, my older daughter asks me "Dad, what would happen if you fell overboard?" To set the scene, it's just me and the 3 girls. Water is maybe 50 degrees now. They have no idea how to sail the boat, (well, they like to steer her a bit, but that's about it at this point) how to use the vhf, or even the cell phone most likely, in an emergency. So we talked. And did some teaching. Don't really know what would happen, but it wouldn't be good.I was glad to get home safe and sound. Nobody fell in. But for some reason, it worried me the whole time we were out. Maybe it was just knowing you wouldn't be able to do much after 10 or 15 min. in the water.Don't know if i could make it back aboard if i was able to get to the boat. I've been in the water for about an hour when it's that cold, and it's no fun. You get to a point where you can't even think, let alone do anything but shiver. And shiver. Anyway,
    I think the best solution would be to have mom along next time. She knows how to sail, at least good enough maybe she'd run me over on the way back to get me! Short of that, we all wear lifejackets of course, don't go fwd. unless absolutely necessary, and then just me, and just be very very careful.
    The thought of them alone out there on the boat, or watching them hit the rocks is pretty sobering. Maybe the best thing would be to have them drop the sails and release sheets, throw the life ring, put boarding ladder over the side, and call for help. Don't really know if the vhf would do much, think the cell and 911 would be better. I do know we have a busy summer ahead teaching them to handle the boat.
    Last edited by willie; 03-06-2005 at 12:25 PM.
    wet willieave maria