Hmmm.... Vacuum-bagging - I need to look into that. Our thought was to tear away all of the imperfect glass and rebuild it. The less glass to sand, the happier I am. Last time, me & my partner wound up looking like frosted flakes more than captain crunchies and itched like mental patients (thank you, Commander Pete for that turn o' phrase) for a few days. I itched in places I didn't know I had places to itch.

As for the damage, I think this is was a full-speed run aground right in our harbor. He would have had to haul it out quick and there wasn't really any internal water damage. The harbor around the east side of City Island is full of big rocks and the high- and low-tide can vary as much as 8-10 feet. I think our previous owner (I have a lot of names for him, but we'll call him) Fred, wasn't much of a sailor. Even if he was a good sailor, coming in at night, those rocks aren't illuminated. I think one of those stopped our boat when it was going 5 knots or more.

Which I also think is a seperate incident from a straight-on whack to a bulkhead - it's the right height and the bow pulpit was mangled. But at least that's an easier repair...

Either way, it's all guesswork. I'm sure my partner's got another theory.