Theis,

The electric bildge pump makes me think that perhaps you have an inboard engine in your Ariel I have a single battery that gets charged at the dock. My Nissan 6 hp motor lacks an alternator/reciifier, or whatever.I will probably add an electric bilge pump in time also, but that would be for use in a very short-term emergency in the event of a sizeable leak. It would not take long for a Rule 2000 or 3700 to drain my battery. I have a manual bilge pump in the cabin already. I want to install an additional manual pump in the cockpit.

Although it is sobering to learn that a one inch hole in the hull two feet beneath the waterline will put more water into the boat than any manual pump made can remove, I can pump a half filled bilge in an Ariel completely dry in two minutes. I had to do that recently, so I decided to time myself. It took two minutes. That is using a Guzzler pump with about a 10-gallon per minute advertised capacity and a one-inch line.

I have also been considering a gas powered pump, or perhaps a small gasoline powered generator that can power an electric pump. Honda makes both. The generator is a bit pricey, but small enough to be suitable for an Ariel. The pump that I like unfortunately cannot be used with saltwater. So I am still looking.

I am also considering solar panels, but solar panels are not going to supply enough juice for a mega leak emergency.

Anyway, the presenting problem in this thread is: Where did you install a flush mounted manual bilge pump in your cockpit if not on the bridge deck, and would you do it again. Does the thing leak?