Thread: Bilge Pump Discussions

Threaded View

Ideal bilge pumping

PS (Vol 30, #4) features testing and rating on 27 electric bilge pumps in this issue. Since last year has anybody given more thought to what the ideal situation is for the Ariel?

My research finds that one has a small pump at the bottom to take care of the dribbles, with a large capacity mounted up higher - to help get serious water out when needed. Pundits then say that a manual pump easy for the helmsman to use in the cockpit is necessary, and a separate manual located below in the cabin that is easy to use from a sitting position. Cruisers seem to equip themselves with a giant Edson gallon-a-stroke portable as well.

It doesn't appear any of these pumps can be Y-valved to share a hose. That means that there is a submersible in the bottom and also 3 hose ends with their strainers and the float switch.

Float switches PS, in their eccentric way, just ignore in their testing. Only one INternal float switch pump was tested (WM Attwood, Sahara S1100. $90.)* Of course in my eccentric way I can't understand why all bilge pumps don't have internal float switches. Can someone tell me why? [And how come no submersibles have the outflow opening out the TOP??]

SO, the ideal installation has the bilge stuffed with pump, switch, wires an assortment of strum boxes three hoses, and little room left for bilge water and the odd sock! Besides, how is all of this going to fit in the A/C sump?

And where do all the thruhulls go for all the outflow? Certainly, the only safe place for boats that sail on their ear is up near the toerail, Right? You don't dump bilge water in the cockpit. Correct? Doesn't this mean loops with vacuum breakers? Permanently installed manual pumps would have safety loops and anti-backflow vacuum breakers also.

Man, that's a lotta stuff.

I'm not ignoring what Brent, Bill, Janis, Theis, S, Airing and Skipper Jer came up with last time. Just want to continue the discussion!

*only one I assume (since no dimensions are given in the PS test report) that can go to the bottom of the sump in 338 - there is another as big as an inverter for which PS does give measures (5"X8"x6") made by Lovett. It is vertually described as a 'rebuildable' float-switch pump that you can pull maintenance on. Sounds good to me! Depends on how easy it is to remove the strainer for cleaning. Snap off, twist off is OK, Dinky little screws, forget it. I'm leaning towards these two. to hell with a separate float switch! Oh, and thanks PS!

Reliability is EVERYTHING with a bilge pump. PS could have a followup
    survey of pumps in use on subscribers boats. Manufacturer warranties are 1 or 3 years, but how long can you rely on your Rule 27D on the water? Is the short warrenty a suggestion that you install a new one every season!?
    Last edited by ebb; 02-02-2004 at 09:19 AM.