Thread: mystery drip

Threaded View

This my opinion only.
    Wouldn't one assume that what is coming out of the hull is going to come back in?

If you have damage or a serious weep, grind it back clean and patch it with some of that vinylester cathair Mike uses. Or a similar epoxy goop.

Try to find out why it is leaking. Really. Maybe dreaded former owner hit a rock. Gelcoat would show star crazing. See if there is bottom paint in cracks - might be old wound. Any disruption or dent I would consider dangerous. Get a second eye-on opinion.

If it is straight forward maybe some other Commander owner can advise on whether such a patch is good enough for the season.

When you pull the boat in the fall, then you can drill the hole in the bottom (per the Manual) and let it drain. You will hopefully by then know how much you are taking on. Put in a drain plug and consider it a nuisance. May be time to take all bottom off down to gelcoat for full accessment of condition. My surveyor, when I bought the boat, was blind and very interested in cosmetics and making lists of obsolete equipment. Of course problems can be covered up.

Get a reliable automatic bilge pump.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-27-2003 at 07:14 AM.