Thread: ANCHORING

Threaded View

Mike, you got me going this morning. I read your messages, and found the weight thing difficult to comprehend. I didn't want to be accused of exaggerating - after all, we are sailors, not like those fishermen that don't know right from wrong.

So I put on my old chesterfield over my jamies , wearing my fedora, the one with the flaps to cover my ears and my polarfleece slippers, and went out through the snow to the garage carrying a super accurate bathroom scale.

It was cold, about 0 F, with a Force 18 wind. The wind chill had to be below 150 degrees, and that is Celsius. Nothing was stirring. The tea in my cup froze as it was being transferred to my lips. But knowing I had to get an answer back, I continued notwithstanding the clear and present danger I faced.

Here is what I came up with, checked and rechecked. The weight of the lines was taken when dry and cold.

The 200 ft of 1/2 inch line, with the galvanized (not stainless) shackle is about 20#. I don't understand how your line could be half the weight of mine.

The 17# Danforth, with 6 ft of chain and about 150 feet of 1/2" line is about 30#.

The total would be about 50# dry, perhaps 55# wet. Further, it is bulky. You are probably right that the 150 or 200' could be put in a dry wall bucket (I use a bag instead).

Anyway, for this wimp here, the 50# to 55#, could be overwhelming for my wife, and could be difficult for me as well when added to the weight of the beer consumed. It might result in my deciding to use a dock for $20 for the night, rather than anchor out and row ashore - expensive decisions.

Incidentally, our mutual lunch anchors are about the same, and that is why I now realize that the 70 ft. of line is not really adequate, although my experience is that under pleasant weather conditions, it has worked adequately, unless there are weeds.
    Last edited by Theis; 01-19-2003 at 11:19 AM.