Thread: rudder bearing source

Threaded View

looking for O-rings

Polymer Plastics got the two black slick 'n sleek delrin bushing/bearings to me yesterday. If something so precisely machined can be a work of art these will entirely suffice. Beautiful. The specs are right out of the Association manual.

O-rings required:
    Inside against the one inch rudder shaft 1" ID - 1.25" OD.

Outside against the rudder tube 1.25" - 1.50" OD

The grooves are nearly .18 inch wide. And .125 deep (i/8")

But it ain't that simple. Being deprived of O-ring experience, commonsense tells me that the grooves should be pretty well occupied with rubber, what rubber? How these rings get squeezed is important. (There are material choices such as neoprene, viton and urethane. Whether they are available in small quantity is the question. You want rubber that is highly resistant to compression set and abrasion.) What's the rubber used in a cutlass bearing, I wonder?

The O-rings in 338's original bearing are flat. Like they were never round. Very flat.

Seems to me the o-ring against the shaft will have to be replaced regularly because it is constantly being exercised, worn. The rudder tube one just sits there.

Tony, maybe I'll take you up on yer offer. Or better yet, did you get an assortment or kit? Might be a good thing to have. Where'd you get it, the assortment??? What's the material? Cheers. (looking at the website below, an assorment would be about 7000 pieces!!!!)

__________________________________________________ ___________ www.allorings.com
    has a sizing chart for the O-rings they carry. My choice for the inside one would be: dash # -317. outside one: dash # -321. Anybody want to discuss these choices here, let's do it. There are information pages here on stretching, compressing, static and working rubber rings. And materials. Amaze your friends with yer O-ring trivia.
    Last edited by ebb; 10-30-2002 at 07:41 PM.