+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Tannins in white oak, quercus alba, make it almost impossible for any coating including epoxy to stick well. That goes for gluing it too.
    Don't know that I can find source for that, but I can't see encapsulating white oak. (Maybe if you 40grit the surface for glassing.)
    When you research it you will find confirmation. Don't know that with all those cutouts that you'd make it easy on yourself to glue fabric onto the plank. The oak far away harder than epoxy and glass. I'd guess that if you bang glass covered oak it will delaminate the glass coating.

Mahogany, while not bulletproof, is more quiet and not as exclusive as w.oak. My word is 'docile'.
    If you have the mahogany, you know it is far easier to shape, drill, sand. And BEND. Why not use it? Maybe consider it easier to repair if the reason you want to use w.oak is indestructability. Oak is also heavier. True white oak won't absorb much damp but it's a bear.
    Mahogany can definitely be fiberglassed. But hard non-porus w.oak? ? ?

If your section is 1" you will have to steam to make the curves that fit the bow. Have to steam to get the curves fair.

If you are considering bolting thru the top, I sure hope you do some tests to make sure you will get the interior ends of the bolts where you can put a washer on and turn the nuts. You may find that predrilling thru the edge of the bulwark has to be at an angle where the top is further outboard and the bottom of the hole furher inboard. Not strate thru. Depends on how thick the hull and glassing is inside. And the inward turn of the hull.
    Wouldn't trust even 316 stainless in white oak. You'd have to use silicon bronze. Your tests may show that you'll have to go with 1/4" to find room - rather than 5/16" bolts, which are twice as strong.

That's why maybe 'brackets' off the deck would be far easier and actually stronger than going thru the top.
    You'd still have the bulwarks ON or over the toerail.
    And looking at this from the I-wish-I'd-done-it-a-better-way perspective, using deck fastened brackets would allow me to finesse the bulwark to
    angles that please - rather than going with what I got by drilling fastenings in thru the top. This aspect of control, how it looks, may be the most important. One final cosideration is that attaching the bulwark sideways by stanchion brackets would make it easy to remove, refurbish, replace.
    If we attach it thru the top of the toerail, I can tell you, brother, it is there FOREVER ! ! !
    But then whaduayeknow?
    The foam mockup looks great! Really right on!
    Last edited by ebb; 03-20-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Tony, your first toe rail mockup made me think of the BCCs...

Name:  _mg_5447.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  38.9 KB

This particular one opted to go the paint-it route - looks good too!

Name:  5659763106_88b475f112_b.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  38.2 KB

Nice secure deck with those bulwarks...

Name:  sideWave.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  59.2 KB

...Then you pulled out those bronze rail chocks. You should definitely design around those babies!

How about a toe rail treatment similar to your coamings? Build them up with fiberglass - you wouldn't have to worry about thru-bolting. Then, you could top them off with a nice mahogany cap so you'd still have something to varnish.

Name:  gyatso_spring_maintenance02.JPG
Views: 2374
Size:  52.7 KB
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post

How about a toe rail treatment similar to your coamings? Build them up with fiberglass - you wouldn't have to worry about thru-bolting. Then, you could top them off with a nice mahogany cap so you'd still have something to varnish.

Attachment 8238
    Mike you are a genius! I don't know why, or how many times, I have read that and it just didn't sink in...I are a idiot...well, a dolt, at the very least. That sure would make things easier as far as maintenance goes, with the exception of varnishing. Plus we could make them as high as we wished. Toe rails could be bulwarks if we want! The only substantial bolting needed would be where the chocks get mounted, and that would have to be worked out being they are pretty skinny lengthwise. There is one wrinkle though. I cut the mahogany into those 2" to 2.5" strips years ago anticipating attaching them on their edge. I don't know if I could steam them enough to pull them into a flat "cap"...

But I like this idea! Mucho gracias senior Mike!
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread