+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander #38

Hybrid View

Recore from the outside!

Mike,
    I strongly encourage recoring from the outside. I have done limited recoring from the inside, working upside down, and it is a royal pain. Working with gravity in your favor is the way to go. Plus, it's the only way to go for working large areas like the fordeck area with can be broken into two sections, port and starbooard of the plywood core running amidship. The side decks cannot be recored from the inside, at least not properly.

As for painting the repair, that is minor considering the work involved to get back to that phase.

You must be kidding, I started working on Ceili in November of 2008. It's been two years and I'm still at it. Granted, I don't work on her full time, yet still she gets at least 8 hours of my time weekly. I have done much, but she's still not done.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Giving Her a Name

Thanks for the advice Chance! I will definitely re-core from the outside.

On another note, I have finally come up with a name for my Commander. Her name will be Susie Q 2 (my first boat was named Susie Q after the CCR song of the same name). I liked the name so much that I am using it again, mainly because she feels practically the same as my last boat (Bristol Corinthian), just bigger. And of course, since I am a designer by trade, I have a lot of fun developing the graphics for the name. (photo attached)

Can't wait to get out sailing this year! Just have to re-paint the bottom and then I will be dropping her in hopefully by early june.
    Attached Images  
    Mike E

Nice design Michael, like the font! The Q2 is really great. Maybe I can pay or trade you to design the S-Boat's lettering someday.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread