+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tools that work & Etc.

Hybrid View

Interesting about the cool-down idea, Ebb - I will definitely try that & let y'all know how it works out.

The Sonicrafter I bought was a kit priced for $119 (the same one pictured above). It does have a hard case that can fit the tool with blade attached, and the case has lots of extra storage, so maybe they have been listening to the public about this.

So far I have used the half-round saw, straight saw with small teeth (wood & metal), and straight with big teeth (wood only). I did look online and found blades to be much cheaper than by buying them from the local Ace store. The Sonicrafter kit itself was *not* more expensive buying from Ace local instead of online, however, so it is worth looking local.

PS - Yes, noisy - earplugs are a must!
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

On the subject of multi-tools, I recently bought the Dremel Multi-max for a carpentry job that required it. Used to have the variable speed Fein tool years ago, which was stolen from a job back when the meth addicts were routinely hitting construction sites. It was the only tool I did not replace since they were/are so damned expensive and I do not need them often. The Dremel version is available for $99.00 at any home depot. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was every bit as good as the fein, especially for cutting. And the blades are a fraction of the price. Includes variable speed, which is sort of a must, a 6' cord which is about 4' too short and a case which is almost worthless since it has so little room to stock supplies in. But running it, it does not feel as chintzy as the price would suggest. I would only pony up for a fein if I was using it in a constant-use production setting. Even then, it might be more cost effective to burn through dremels. The positive locking teeth on the blades is a big improvement over the old Fein, which would rotate during hard cutting. Perhaps they have upgraded that by now. For the money, I am very pleased with the Dremel. A good value.

+ Reply to Thread