Thread: Cutter rig

Threaded View

bowsprit weight

I like the cutter idea very much also.
    Especially moving the original stay down six feet from the top of the mast and have it go from there to the stem
    - and running the new jibstay from the masthead to the cranze iron out on a THREE FOOT bowsprit. That's arbitrary - the sprit can be any length out. Six feet is where the staysail tang will be if the new jibstay to the masthead is three feet outboard and parallel with its companion, Doesn't need to be parallel, but looks better imco.
    The inner stay could be moved out of the way to the mast shrouds and big light sails like screechers (which have their own furlers built in) flown from the jibstay. Might even tack the big sails with the inner stay removed?

I'd like to experiment how to sail with a 100, a 120, and a 130 in the larger triangle.
    The boat might even point higher, right? There would be times, especially with furler/reefers on both stays, I'd sweat being over-powered!
    The 'inner' stay is useful for shortening sail in heavy weather, as a staysail in that triangle would be small. Even smaller if self-tending on a club. How would the 100 work on the new bowsprit?
    Most likely smart to have runners opposing the lower stay. How to rig fail-safe runners?
    This means that the deck-stepped mast would depend on the jibstay at all times to oppose the backstay.

Can't get my head to accept shower grating as part of a bowsprit. (see Pacific Seacraft's DANA 24)
    I'm strictly a plain pole person that thinks the sprit is part of a sailboat's spar system. Don't like an anchor shank pulled up into the furniture of an overbuilt pulpit.

Called up a carbon spar maker. He thought he could weave a tube that could be rigged as a bowsprit, but would weigh in as if it were aluminum*. IOW it would have to be pretty thick walled to take static compression loads.
    I figured that a tube bowsprit that would rig out about three feet from the stem and inner stay could be about six feet long. 15 or 20 pounds? Haven't pursued it because I haven't a clue how to rig carbon as a bowsprit. Or a way to pay for it...$2000 to $3000.

Now suppose we were going to put that sprit together with more reasonable stuff like wood?
    Figure a five foot square pole of 3" X 4" will weigh it at about 36#. And that is using PortOrfordCedar (which I happen to have a couple planks). Fir or mahogany might be heavier by five or six pounds.

To that weight you have to add the new jibstay and turnbuckle. Also the weight of a cranze iron if you find one. Then there's the turnbuckles for the shrouds and the bobstay and bobstay fitting - add in a real strong gammon strap at the stem. Then add the samson post and all the bolts and shackles of the system.
    [AND I've got a anchor roller on the other side of the stem!]
    I'm assuming an offset single pole bowsprit probably mounted on the starboard side of the stem fitting. Three feet outboard the spar meets the centerline of the ship.
    Missed something I know. But that is a whole bunch of ounces we are proposing for a cyrano on a Commander or Ariel.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
    *for comparison purpose only (I have no idea what size aluminum pipe could be used as a bowsprit): 4" nom schedule 40, - 6061T6 (4.5 OD X .24wall X 4.026 ID) - linear foot 3.78# = 23# for six feet - online metals $93.50.
    Last edited by ebb; 04-30-2010 at 08:28 AM.