First - Hi Rico thanks for your thoughts...

Traditional varnish (I swear by EPIFANES clear) - or nothing at all... (but Teak oil) me thinks. Especially in tropical climes.
The problem with teak oil in my area here is that you need to reapply about every 60 days. When I finally finish my restoration I want to sail as much as possible and not spend all my time during my 9 month sailing season doing maintenance. The plan is to pull the boat for the 3 months in the summer when sailing just is not fun with all the thunderstoms every day and bring her home to the shop. I will do my annual maintenance during that 3 month time frame and if the Epifanes needs work I will do it then.

Sun covers for brightwork the most effective protection, and ARE a MUST - even in California.
I am 100% on board with you on this one Rico. And I am lucky that my wife has a sewing business (she does custom window treatments) and the equipment to make me all my canvas work. The very first project I want her to make is a cover that will protect all of the brightwork and go from just forward of the mast to just past the aft end of the cockpit.

Next - thanks Ebb for your reply...

I now plan to follow your suggestions and seal the wood with epoxy and then apply 6 or 8 coats of Epifanes. As long as I stay on top of the maintenance each year I think I will get the best bang for my time spent with this route.

And finally - Ben

Thanks for posting the articles. I enjoyed reading them and seeing the pictures of what can be done with enough time and effort. And they also reinforced the epoxy sealer concept prior to finishing.

For my project I think I will do as mentioned above and epoxy seal then apply Epifanes. I will brush all but the last coat on and spray the final coat. I have an HVLP sprayer that I have used many times over the years for my furniture projects. But spraying even with HVLP goes through a lot more finish materials so I will only spray the final coat.