Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

in coaming scuppers

Hope you don't mind, Tony....
    Kendal, yeah, I've seen wood coamings cut for swingout scuppers. Made from the coaming material, the sides were cut on a bevel so that they couldn't swing in. In a normal coaming you can't have many of them in that style. But if done well they would look the best of all alternatives.
    We A/C's sail on our ear at times with the rail in the water. Hinged scuppers would open up by their own weight and would scoop water. A hazard. Resistance to opening with a spring or something imco would be difficult to make work.

Attwood and Seachoice make ring scuppers with rubber flappers. OK in a bassboat transom. More interesting are the floating ball valves where returning water pushes a floating ball against the scupper opening. Deck drains and maybe transoms. Looks like there is nothing off the shelf.

It just flashed that if Tony has a concern about water being contained over deck level he could DORADE those boxed coamings. He'd loose some cockpit storage, I think, in the coaming interiors
    BUT if said interior was set up like an ondeck Dorade vent box they could be made open to drain and still (unless totally inudated) easily let water out and discourage water in without any flapper or ball gizmos. The width of the coamings allows designing baffles in the drainage channels that could keep water from re-entering. I'm guessing ofcourse.

With molded coamings exits could be bigger and useful. Imagine that they need not be very tall off the deck, maybe an inch or two. But would be some inches long for volume. And more numerous. Imagine a double 'floor' in the coaming box: deck level drain system, upper level storage.
    Hinged lids might yet be called for, because water could enter back into the cockpit thru the scuppers from the up side when the boat is tilted.

When the cockpit is filling with big greenies, remove the seatback cushions (if they're not overboard already.)
    Last edited by ebb; 07-30-2009 at 03:01 PM.